Comments

• bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    edited 10 May 2017 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Economic wrote: »
    greenglide wrote: »
    So what is the situation with "normal" Investment Trusts which invest in property such as SLI.

Do they suffer a penalty for not being a REIT?
    Is it not a REIT?
    It is a Guernsey-domiciled investment company treated by the UK as a REIT. See their factsheet, top right. http://uk.standardlifeinvestments.com/IT_Property_Income.pdf

Since the regulations were introduced allowing property invest companies to convert to REITs, more than three quarters of them that could, have. As it is a tax efficient structure, most want to be REITs and if not usually have a decent reason. Some investment trusts or listed investment companies are just "normal" ITs or companies as you say, and if holding some individual properties or property-related businesses is not the key theme of their strategy, they won't seek the special status.

SL do have a variety of other property fund entities eg their UK Real Estate PAIF (which is an open ended fund, not a REIT, but has similar tax benefits as it's allowed to stream the income into PIDs) and they also have another couple of open ended funds that invest globally into other REITs but are not themselves a REIT, etc.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    It is a Guernsey-domiciled investment company treated by the UK as a REIT.
    and we hold it in an ISA and so receive the dividends gross.

I also hold FCPT some of which is in an ISA and some is not - yet. The tax treatment of the dividends appears the same in each holding (they are held on different platforms). FCPT appears, from the factsheet, to be an IT. There appears to be a relationship with F&C REIT Property Asset Management and other companies. Does the property income get converted into "normal" income in some way?
  • RoyBrock7898
    RoyBrock7898 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We don't use ISAs yet as there is no cost benefit.

Now I have had another short dividend payment.

Lloyds with one dividend paying 1p/share returns a total of 0.5p/share. The other dividend paying 2p/share returns the full amount. What gives here?

This is another new investment this year. Do many shares attract odd treatments as well?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lloyds with one dividend paying 1p/share returns a total of 0.5p/share. The other dividend paying 2p/share returns the full amount. What gives here?
    According to http://www.lloydsbankinggroup.com/Investors/shareholder-info/dividends/ there's both a 0.5p special dividend and a 1.7p final one paying tomorrow (the first ones since last September), are these the Lloyds shares you're referring to? Some sort of rounding issue perhaps?
  • RoyBrock7898
    RoyBrock7898 Posts: 72 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    esk, indeed Lloyds shares. Rounding makes sense, although the dividend was indeed declared as 1p and 2p and my broker has obviously used the same figures. 0.5 and 1.7 makes complete sense.

What a nonsense of reportage.

Thank you.
  • RobertJN
    Options
    Thankyou for the useful information about the taxation of dividends from an investment trust which invests in property companies.
    I have paid 20% tax at source on such an investment, (and also have some normal gross dividend income from other investments with the the same Investment Trust.)

Now I cant work out where to put the income, and the tax, from the property fund on my Self Assessment tax form! it doesn't seem to fit with the dividends section or in the property pages. I've sent my question to HMRC but have received no answer.......
    Can anyone help?
    thanks!
    R
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills