IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Impact on Credit Score

Options
Hi all

A friend of mine got into a lot bother financially recently. Apparently a few months ago she drove into the London congestion zone without realising and therefore didn't pay the charge. Because she also hadn't updated the DVLA with her new address, they have been chasing her for months without her realising and now she has some sort of £600 accumulated charge owing, not because she was unwilling or unable to pay the charge - but she didn't know anything about it until she received the shock bill. Obviously a pretty pricey couple of mistakes to make.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following:
1. Is there anyway to get the bill reduced? She would freely admit her mistake and take full responsibility - but she doesn't earn a lot of money and has a young daughter to take care of. To be honest, a fine 1/6th of what she's looking at would be plenty punitive enough to make her take things more seriously.

2. Will this sort of financial penalty have affected her credit score? I'm not sure if this is considered a debt not being paid - but I could imagine it would be so her credit score will be trashed now?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    She doesn't appear to have any defence, though she could always see if they will reduce it out of goodwill. She needs to get it settled as soon as possible to stop it increasing further.

Her credit score isn't a real thing, so no issues there.

There is no reason why the debt would appear on her credit files unless they got a CCJ. Is that the case?
  • Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 October 2019 at 12:50PM
    Options
    I agree with zx81. Goodwill will probably be your friends' best bet. And there should not be any impact on your friend's credit file, unless a CCJ for the account is served.

I would actually get your friend to post their query on The Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board just in case there any known workarounds/loopholes. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    As an aside there can be hefty fines for not keeping the DVLA informed about changes of address so she needs to get that sorted out ASAP as well.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    Options
    sh856531 wrote: »
    Hi all

A friend of mine got into a lot bother financially recently. Apparently a few months ago she drove into the London congestion zone without realising and therefore didn't pay the charge.
    One reason I never drive in London these days.

I think your post would be better suited to the parking fines forum, so i will move it there for you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to shunt you on again @OP ..........

As we major on private parking tickets here, PePiPoo will be your best bet for council tickets. Register there (but please note that a hotmail address won't work - try using a throwaway gmail account instead if you do have trouble registering) and post a new thread; here's your link:

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=30

Have a read through some of the other threads there before you post your own to get the hang of what information they need from you in your opening post - but as a minimum you will need to post redacted photos/scans of all correspondence you've received from the council (both sides, if appropriate) as they need to see all the small print.

PePiPoo has an excellent success record in dealing with council tickets.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This is not the thread to post on. Please delete your post and I will delete mine.

You appear to have completely missed reading the sticky thread called:

newbies please read these faqs first.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure