Sauna rooms

Options
The drunker one in this relationship decided that a sauna would be a great way to waste some money. We have neither the money nor the room so it will not happen!

But we spent an hour researching on the web and were stunned to find portable saunas (very cheap), infra red ones (surely steam is a requirement?) as well as traditional wooden cabin ones.

The prices seem very expensive though for what is to my mind a garden shed with a heater in it.

Since this site is an amazing source of knowledge, there must be some here who can tell me why that is not the case. Are saunas worthwhile in the home?
She slashed every one of us

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As we have a wood burner as heat for a kitchen, rather than buying logs, we, as you'd extect a Moneysaver to, get everyone elses old wood & scrap timber!!

Currently we have a stack of pine, about 1/2 a skipfull, was retrrieved, by me last week.

This was ripped out from a sauna room, by the new people, that moved into a rather expensive house, in our next village. They obviously didn't like the idea, either!!

& good job they did, too, 'cos underneath some of the timbers were smouldering, from the heat source - just waiting to catch light, one day!!

Buy a gym membership, instead!!

But of course, a HOT TUB, outside, now thats an thought........

VB
  • exxtra
    exxtra Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I build saunas, steamrooms and install hot tubs, pools and such like for a living.

A sauna is a great aid to detox and relaxation, but that sort of intense dry heat is not for everyone. You might well appreciate steam more or a hot tub.

You can get hold of a combination heater to produce higher humidity as well as high temperature, but they're NOT cheap.
  • GraniteMum
    Options
    I would not have thought that there was a demand for these things, but of course there are clubs and hotels etc.

Do you get to travel a lot then?

My other half loves a hot sauna but I prefer steam (I think one is Finnish the other Turkish).

Do many people install in their houses then?
    She slashed every one of us
  • g33za
    g33za Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    and the question is how much is the bog standard basic small closest one?
    ummm...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport