Email received from a mobile number (Vodafone)

Options
I have received an email from a friend sent from her mobile phone with the format :-
<vodafone number>@mms.vodafone.co.uk

They don't know how they did it(!) - it was set up by one of their young relations. My question is will this have cost them anything? They said they have unlimited text and calls but the mms part of the email address makes me wonder if it was sent via some vodafone mms->email gateway. Anybody seen this?
If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.

Comments

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    It's a standard feature on most MMSC (multi media service center) software to be able to route to email.

If it cost them anything? depends on their plan, but it would be billed as a standard MMS for them.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When my daughter (also on Vodafone) has inadvertently sent an MMS it has always been billed.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes, the MMS. Somebody will explain why it never caught on as a transport for media over the phone network.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cheap fast data and having access to emails and other file transfer options killed MMS. Not helped by the cost of sending a MMS.

I dont use whatsapp and a certain person keeps saying they cannot send me images, i keep telling them emails were around long before whatsapp and still works.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure