MSE News: Tesco to replace 5p single-use bags with 10p bags for life

Options
1235»

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    As I said before, people should use bags they can wash in the washing machine, add to a 60C wash, or bags they can wipe down. No need to throw away a plastic bag for life as the article was saying, seriously just turn it inside out, clean it with antibacterial spray or simular and let it dry before using again. Cool boxes or bags could be used and cleaned after every use for meats. People only have themselves to blame if they don't take precautions and get ill. Trying to blame it on a 'bag tax' is just another way people try to shift responsibility to others.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Or do what I do. I use a fresh new bag every time for the most problematic items. Problem solved.

Never had dicky stomach doing this.

Plus Food Agency, took you a few years to realize this?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I said before, people should use bags they can wash in the washing machine, add to a 60C wash, or bags they can wipe down. No need to throw away a plastic bag for life as the article was saying, seriously just turn it inside out, clean it with antibacterial spray or simular and let it dry before using again. Cool boxes or bags could be used and cleaned after every use for meats. People only have themselves to blame if they don't take precautions and get ill. Trying to blame it on a 'bag tax' is just another way people try to shift responsibility to others.

Have you considered the 'environmental' impact' of manufacturing and using such a spray? Or the energy implications of using water heated to 60 degrees C to wash bags? Or the implications in terms of 'cost' (in its widest sense) of ill health?

And that, of course, sidesteps the question of how reasonable it is to expect people to spend their time washing out shopping bags.

That's the trouble with the 'easy answers' - they very rarely easy. Or even answers at all.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 3 October 2017 at 7:34PM
    Options
    Have you thought of the environmental impact of making plastic bags which uses energy, causes toxins to be formed in the air, causes acid rain and take years to break down even if made to do so without taking hundreds of years, kills animals etc?
    Vinegar can be used as an antibacterial cleaner against most things.
    You can add bags to washes you already do at 60c such as bedding, towels etc. Pre treat them if you feel the need but this is minimal compared to plastic still.
    If you are responsible you won't get ill. There again it's not helped by factory farms and their standards for animals in the main, as animal products are the offenders most of the time.

Reasonable? People should be more responsible for what they do. We only have the one earth and the way people are abusing it is killing it; resources are limited and, the air is getting more polluted, animals are dying off etc.
    People need to think of the whole picture and not just themselves!
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • robin58
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    Have you considered the 'environmental' impact' of manufacturing and using such a spray? Or the energy implications of using water heated to 60 degrees C to wash bags? Or the implications in terms of 'cost' (in its widest sense) of ill health?

And that, of course, sidesteps the question of how reasonable it is to expect people to spend their time washing out shopping bags.

That's the trouble with the 'easy answers' - they very rarely easy. Or even answers at all.

If they invented the replicator from the Star Trek show for real tomorrow, you find something to complain about in not using it.;)
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    If they invented the replicator from the Star Trek show for real tomorrow, you find something to complain about in not using it.;)

And that contributes exactly what to the conversation?
  • robin58
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    And that contributes exactly what to the conversation?

So what did your waffle about sprays and hot water bring to the conversation?

Personally I am more worried about the supply chain of the butcher or supermarket especially after the recent chicken supplier fiddling dates and repacking new with returned old chicken.

I stopped buying any packed meat at a local CooP once because thier fridges were not up to storing food in a safe condition.

A few bugs in bag from a possible leakage is minor and can at least be treated and contained by me.
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • A._Badger
    Options
    robin58 wrote: »
    So what did your waffle about sprays and hot water bring to the conversation?

I posted a link to a useful article from the BBC leading to the Food Standards Agency's warning. I then responded to a 'Green' who, while complaining about the 'waste' of resources used in making plastic bags, proposed cleaning them in an equally wasteful manner - neither disinfectants, hot water nor even that universal panacea vinegar, fall ready to use from the sky.

You, on the other hand, decided to take a pop at me, as you usually do. It may have made you feel better, but, as I said, it added nothing to the conversation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure