MSE News: Tesco to replace 5p single-use bags with 10p bags for life

Options

Comments

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »

Maybe I'm just too organised, but If I'm going shopping all have equal importance - what I want, what I'm going to pay with, and what I'm going to carry it in.
    Why can people have homes, families, children, jobs, cars and everything else but struggle and sulk if asked to take a bag to a shop or buy bin liners.

Absurd first world problem.
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    5p bags are not Single-use

Please can you change the title of this post.

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    5p bags are not Single-use

Please can you change the title of this post.

They are classified as such by law as you can't return them for a free replacement which bags for life can be. Therefore at point of sale they are classed as single-use (even if you use it again) and are subject to a minimum charge of 5p by law.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Carrier bags

Were 5p, will now be 10p at Tesco

Re-usable carrier bags are only 5p in Sainsburys, and have been for many, many months.
    I've not seen any single use ones in their stores since the charge was introduced
    (but I think they still use single use ones for home delivery)

pm7pF7R.jpg

Every little helps!
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Meanwhile.as an antidote to all the sanctimony, a headline from the Times via the BBC:

"Tesco's bag change 'could boost profits'

Tesco's decision to stop selling 5p single-use plastic bags and instead offer customers 10p reusable bags "could boost" the supermarket giant's profits and result in it using more plastic, the Times claims."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-40857869
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 2:28PM
    Options
    spanglish wrote: »
    We have small bins in every room and line them all with carrier bags for ease of emptying. Since they started charging we never have enough

I just empty the carrier bags into the bin which contains a council provided black bin liner, so I still have a carrier bag left at the end. Isn't that what everyone does?

Using a tesco bag for life means that when it wears out, you can get another one.
    footyguy wrote: »
    Re-usable carrier bags are only 5p in Sainsburys, and have been for many, many months.

I would rather pay 10p for a bag for life, than 5p for a re-usable bag comes with no guarantee for the number of times I will be able to re-use it. When you've bought your second one then you're at parity, when that one breaks you've lost out.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 8 August 2017 at 7:09PM
    Options
    A roll of 40:

5025364000003-500x500.jpg

Available in Poundland (2.5p each) or Savers at 79p.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Options
    VoucherMan wrote: »
    What do you do when you forget to take money with you?

Maybe I'm just too organised, but If I'm going shopping all have equal importance - what I want, what I'm going to pay with, and what I'm going to carry it in.

What if you are not going shopping, but suddenly need to go to a supermarket?

I usually have a backpack so don't need to buy a bag. But sometimes it is full and I wasn't planning on going to a supermarket, then I either have to go home first, or just carry it in my hands, or pay 5p.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    zerog wrote: »

I don't know, it's never happened!:D

I have on occasion realised that I've forgotten something and have to go back out for it, but as before pick up bag as well as wallet.

Besides, if I'm already out in the car and decided to go shopping there's no problem. I usually go to the supermarket in my car, so have a selection of bags chucked in the boot. Even in the event of an unlikely 'emergency' I have an old bag for life folder up in my jacket pocket. (probably 1 in each jacket, so doesn't matter which one I wear)
    Alternatively, just get one of the 'disposable' bags and fold it up, stick it in the purse/wallet/pocket. It will easily fold down to the size of a £2 coin, so hardly inconvenient for most to carry around.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    zerog wrote: »

I usually have a backpack so don't need to buy a bag. But sometimes it is full and I wasn't planning on going to a supermarket, then I either have to go home first, or just carry it in my hands, or pay 5p.
    Leave an empty bag in your backpack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport