Please help - Being accused of fraud

Options
1235»

Comments

• Opinion
    Opinion Posts: 401 Forumite
    Options
    Wadsworth wrote: »
    Wow. Just been reading the lengthy and somewhat helpful replies on here. Thank you very much to those who have offered their words of wisdom.

First thing first. The bank has refused to take into account that I have made a mistake and have gone ahead and added me to the database.
    I have responded (citing the section taken from the CIFAS website), and they have sent me a 'Final Response Letter' telling me that I now must take up the matter with CIFAS.

I must point out that I did apply for employment there last year, and I obviously answered 'correctly' that time, and was refused almost instantly. Now, before I am accused of changing my answers in the hope to get a different outcome, the email refusing me employment last year did not state any specific reason I was refused, so I could not possibly have known it was because of my poor credit.

I have never been given the opportunity to present any evidence to support the reason why the mistake could have been made. All I want is to get back into employment. I have filled out countless of online applications lately.... 'do you do this, have you done that?' all clicking 'Yes' or 'No'. Everything gets so mundane you feel like a robot filling in countless forms.

Unemployment adds to several other stresses I have going on in my life at the moment, and I have made a mistake.

I have never been in trouble with the law - ever. Only a few weeks ago I found a purse full of money in the street. I handed it to the police, I didn't have a penny in my pocket at the time. Surely someone who was dishonest (like I am being made out to be), would have just taken that money?

I am under stress from so many different angles at the moment and I am astounded that this could happen to me.

I know it has been question on here about my integrity, and I understand why. But you don't know me nor my background, and it is really frustrating that I have not been given the chance by the bank to fully explain my circumstances and why such a mistake has been made.

The thing that strikes me is that nearly every time you post, something else is added to your story.

The fact that you applied and were refused previously, I would assume, carries a lot of weight. It would be like me applying for a credit card and stating my income was £10,000, then a year later stating it was £100,000. Simple mistake, or deception?

Regarding evidence to support the reason you made a mistake, well, there isn't any? You can't exactly claim "Well, I was eating a green olive and thus my hand was slightly oiled and my index finger must have slipped on the mouse button." Likewise, other life stresses are relative and won't/can't be considered. You can't give jobs to people based on the fact that they're having a "tougher time than the other guy." They don't care if/that you found a purse. Hell, even the police don't, as they have no way of proving A. That 'Purse Loser' actually had £100 in there, or that B. The £100 was taken by you and not someone else.

Having said all that, I believe ValHaller to be the one to listen to.

Good luck.
  • tinkerbell28
    tinkerbell28 Posts: 2,720 Forumite
    Options
    So it would seem they have decided the criteria WAS met after all. Not exactly surprising is it? Then added you anyway.

Op if you truly don't believe they have met the criteria to add you.....I would at first stop contact CIFAS. In writing preferably and the data controller at the bank.

However I would say they had good grounds to add you unfortunately as they've got a false declaration, even thought it was an accident. FWIW, I wouldn't call in to question your honesty, but the bank have. So only you can decide what to do. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure