PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2017

Options

Comments

• CAZBEAR
    CAZBEAR Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 January 2017 at 6:30PM
    Options
    Thanks Siebre...my dd only wears really sheer ones so it'll just have to be the clear nail varnish trick for us !!
    Finally have some mending to do as dd's sleeve is unravelling.. The school uniform changes for her year next year so i'm making do wirhout buying new stuff that she'll only wear for a few months.
    I'm still working through the sprouting spud pile with a fish pie and mash for the freezer yesterday, possibly roast spuds for dinner today depending on how much i can be bothered !!
    Been drying on the airer to save using the tumbler but gave in with some towels yesterday so they don't get that musty smell:(
    update..used up 2 x jars of jam with bits in and the cranberry sauce we opened at christmas making jam tarts, sponge pudding and stilton and cranberry tarts so minimised fridge clutter and some nice nibbles for packed lunches in the week:)
    Happy Sunday to all:)
    Best headline ever on local paper??
    "Weight loss group doubles in size"
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Still making do food-wise. Used an inventory of what’s in the freezer/stores/fridge to make a meal plan for the coming week. If we stick to it, then we shouldn’t need to spend anything at all this week. I thought I had used up all the Xmas stuff but have just found two bags of crisps and a packet of shortbread fingers at the back of store cupboard no.3 (now cleaned and organised) so crisps on “use up” tray and shortbread in biscuit barrel.

Freezer veg is getting a bit low now but I’ve put what’s left together (peas, broad beans, sweetcorn, green beans) so we can have mixed veg for a couple of dinners after the fresh has been used.

This morning we minimised bits & bats from the fridge for breakfast (a fry-up of mushrooms, left-over potatoes, black pudding and an egg). Naughty but nice! We also shared a small carton of fruit juice that needed using up.

On the mend front, I’ve sewn a button on DH’s coat; it hadn’t come off but I could see it was loose and I’d rather sew one on now than have to replace the whole set because the loose one came off altogether and got lost.

Just smiling at the mending tights Q&As: I haven’t worn tights since I retired 9 years ago. Wow, does it save money! In summer I prefer bare legs anyway and as the weather gets colder I wear jeans/trousers with socks. They start off as trainer socks, then ankle socks and finally long socks. A small men’s size does me just fine.
    misstara - I got an unexpected council tax bill
    Ouch! That’s just what you don’t need.

CAZBEAR – I try not to use the tumble dryer as well but living in a flat it’s sometimes a case of “needs must”, particularly for towels and bedding.

On the subject of bedding, I’d been toying with the idea of getting a new, thicker duvet but after a rummage through the linen cupboard I found a practically new fluffy throw (DB size). That’s now sandwiched between the existing duvet and the top sheet (much warmer) so it’s saved £££s. Another tick in the make do column.

MMMing on folks.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Elona I too abandoned tights in favour of bare legs in the summer and sock in the winter Can't say I like those trainer socks though as they always seem as though they are losing the fight with my feet and slipping off :):):)

But I have a good collection of funny and fancy ones that my DGC have bought for me over the years as granny's silly socks are an inexpensive present for children to buy and are much appreciated as well :):) I even have a couple of pairs of black silk ones my DD treated me to and they are lovely, to me tights were always very uncomfortable either far too long or not long enough I'm not keen on the knee high ones either so happily gave them up and saved a fortune :)
  • Littlefrugalcottage
    Options
    Hello all,

Well yesterday we split my rhubarb not quite minimizing but I've had the blighter for over 9 years and never split it before. We got 5 "plants" from it so hoping two of them grow well and that will be me for the next five years and if the other grow they will go onto happy homes I am sure :).

Not done much on the other fronts, but I'm making notes in my diary, I want to start doing the weekly flylady and I'm going to start getting rid of an item or two a day till I feel happier. Oh and I need to mend my bed jumper this weekend, it's probably to far gone but I love it to much. Oh and before I forget I've been looking into doing a wartime rations diet, realistically I wont be able to do anything till we are back from holiday in March, but I've started to add recipes into our menu plans and think if I do it slowly, once we hit the point of going on the diet the other half will never know. Plus it gets me cooking from scratch again.

Hope everyone is well. Sorry for the yatter!!!
    Little Frugal Cottage x
    SealedPotChallenge 2017 No.573 :j Grocery Challenge - £250/£250 left to spend £250
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 January 2017 at 10:51AM
    Options
    I wear kneehigh tights under my work suit. I have tights, but don't like them, because my legs are too long; so either the crotch is halfway my thighs or they are lubbering around the ankles.

Even on sheer thights, I would still try to mend a hole by sewing, using a very thin needle and thread. It's not just that they are expensive to buy, they also last forever in landfill, taking about 30 years to decompose. After they have become really unwearable (and I do the thing where I cut off the damaged leg, and wear it together with another half-pair) I use them in the garden to hold up fruitcanes, etc.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • RainbowHippie
    Options
    Well done all, sounds like there's lots of good MMMing going on!

We've had an MMM-ish weekend, been away to Whitby with some friends. I took my Christmas money with us as i didn't want to spend on a meal out and treats from the normal budget and had mentally allocated some money i got for christmas as 'treats' funds. Didn't end up spending much really, we planned to eat at the lovely cottage (a cheap rental of my boss's family holiday place as she likes to keep it occupied as much as poss over the winter so they can run the heating etc) on the Friday so we'd brought plenty of food. We intended to eat out on Saturday but weren't that hungry and everywhere seemed to shut very early as it's out of season, so we got a small takeaway meal (£30 between 4 of us) and drank wine we took with us, so it was much cheaper than eating out. Before coming home yesterday we had a quick wander around the shops and i managed to tick something off my 'needed' list of things for the house - two sets of lovely wrought iron house numbers for front and back of our house as there is currently no marking to show what number we are. They were reduced and it came to just under £15 for both sets which was much cheaper than similar i'd seen online so i was quite pleased. Treated OH to some map-patterned storage boxes for his office to hopefully replace some of his current ugly plastic ones, and resisted the beautiful hippy clothing in the same shop.

Like JackieO and Siebrie I'm also one to mend until it can't be mended any more!! I so resent the idea of discarding something because of a problem i could fix. I wear 'support tights' almost daily and was recommended m and s ones by the nurse when i first started wearing them. Honestly they seemed to develop holes after one or two wears, and ladder so easily, and even with lots of mending, careful hand washing and line drying i was getting through a couple of pairs every month - which at £5 a pair was not ideal! :eek: Because i'd been recommended them as 'the best' though i thought it must just be me being careless! By chance i spotted some in B00ts for the same price and thought it can't hurt to try them. The difference in quality is astonishing and shortly after i bought 4 more pairs. That was last June and all are still wearable. To be fair most now have slight ladders and have visible stitching where they've had holes fixed, but as i wear them under jeans/thick tights in winter it doesn't matter and i won't buy any new until the weather is much warmer. It has definitely been a lesson in the value of shopping around even if you think the item/brand you use is as good as it gets.

JackieO i agree re. trainer socks - for some reason i have quite a few pairs but rarely wear them as they always seem to end up bunched up around my toes! Recently i had the idea of cutting some up and sewing a portion of one onto the top of another in an effort to make longer socks - no idea if that would work but i might have to try it!

I meal-planned last week, only for dinners (and shamefully for the first time ever!!) and found it made life so much easier - I usually have an idea of what we have in and what needs using up the quickest but having it written down meant much less mental effort! I'll do the same again this week with a focus on clearing some freezer space. We have loads in there but very few 'packed lunch' meals for OH, so i need to clear some space then do more batch-cooking to ensure he has enough for the next couple of weeks at least. My own lunches take much less planning as i am in no way fussy, and normally work from home so just eat leftovers, fruit, crackers and/or whatever i can find in the fridge!

Happy MMMing all! xx
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was discussing jeans/trousers with a couple of mothers from dd's kindergarten, and they said that even thougt the H&M jeans were only €7,50, it was still a shame that they had to throw them away as soon as their son/daughter fell on their knees. I told them I have fancy iron-on patches that I then sew on for extra strength, and that that extends the life of the trousers for at least 20 more wears. They looked at me as if I was the weirdest lady on the block :) I asked them what else they were doing while watching their favourite soap on telly? I do 3 or 4 trousers at once, a packet of patches (hearts, butterflies, etc) costs 50 cents for 3; it's worth it for me.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 January 2017 at 3:53PM
    Options
    So glad, just minimised an old Singer treadle machine to a family that really knows how to restore things and I know it has gone to a good home. It was given to me by an old lady who was a sort of adoptive granny to me and the children, many years ago. Then she died and I lent the machine to someone who did not care for it at all, they left it in the garden! I managed to get it back and had it serviced but it has been neglected for a long time. Now it has gone to these good people who I am sure will restore and love it the way it deserves.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sebrie - I'm tall too and buy XL tights to get the leg length. Only trouble is I could put straps on them to make a body stocking !! Still they keep my 'kiddly's' warm ;) As I'm a chilly mortal at the best of times I bought some thermal tights in Aldee - they've got a lovely fleecy !Ining and they're holding up well so far - saw similar ones in Sainsbugs at twice the price!
    Caterina - how lovely to get a cherished item back into use. Good for you for persevering.
    Ishy day today - I've done a few small jobs but not in the mood for anything major so I'm going to coast and see how I feel later
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Finally also minimised that duvet that nobody wanted, I took it to the large machine in the laundrette and washed it, now it is going on my DS's bed, as a mattress topper. With all the clothes, this and the sewing machine gone I am starting feeling I am making some progress
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure