Stolen iPad mini

Options
My iPad mini was stolen out of a hire car in Spain yesterday. It has a 4. Number Code that you have to put in to start it. I suppose this is a lock ? Does that mean that the theif can’t activate it? Do I need to do anything else ? I’ve obviously reported it to the police it don’t expect anything. I also have an iPhone but didn’t have the find my iPhone app. I’d like to delete stuff on it but don’t suppose I can?

Comments

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    have you actually tried logging in to icloud and look to see if it can located it?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201472

You don't need an App to do this it just needed the option selected on your ipad.
  • LandM1
    LandM1 Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don’t think the option was selected on my iPad. I’m a bit of a disaster where technology is concerned. I just used it! I do have online banking etc but I presume that the PIN numbers and other security will protect that? Also Amazon account, PayPal all need passwords so I guess they’re safe even if someone manages to bypass the locking 4 digits?
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    No harm in changing everything just in case if you are worried
  • TadleyBaggie
    Options
    The Passcode will stop anyone accessing any data on the iPad. Even the FBI cannot bypass it based on a incident from the USA 18 months ago.
  • Morbier
    Morbier Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    For heaven's sake, find a computer and log into your Apple account on iCloud.com where you will be given the chance to lock the phone, wipe the data from it or even put a message on it. If it's still turned on, you should be able to locate it. If a determined thief has got it, then you'll probably never see it again, but disabling it will make it fairly useless to them.

All the above assumes you had the Find My Phone app downloaded and turned on before it was stolen.

I would change my password on Amazon, PayPal and any other accounts your regularly log in to. Ring your bank to let them know.
    I can't imagine a life without cheese. (Nigel Slater)
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can also totally erase the iPad via iCloud
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 December 2018 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Morbier wrote: »
    For heaven's sake, find a computer and log into your Apple account on iCloud.com where you will be given the chance to lock the phone, wipe the data from it or even put a message on it. If it's still turned on, you should be able to locate it. If a determined thief has got it, then you'll probably never see it again, but disabling it will make it fairly useless to them.

All the above assumes you had the Find My Phone app downloaded and turned on before it was stolen.

I would change my password on Amazon, PayPal and any other accounts your regularly log in to. Ring your bank to let them know.

why dont you re read the op :mad:
  • Morbier
    Options
    Guilty as charged.

Is the advice to change passwords relevant then?
  • Morbier
    Options
    Guilty as charged.

Is the advice to change passwords relevant then?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Apple have all the information regarding securing your iThings at:
    https://www.apple.com/business/site/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business