Car insurance excess

My car insurance is due in 21 days and I have obtained quotes from every comparison site. I’ve found that every company on those sites is demanding the same compulsory excess of £620. I am 71 years of age and wonder if it this that is generating the across the board excess. Is it legal? Has anyone else come across this?

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Are you sure they are compulsory and they haven't automatically added voluntary excesses, which you can adjust?

Do you have any medical conditions?

They can offer what excess they like, you don't have to purchase with them.

I've not come across it being a standard for over 70's (Dad, FiL)

Keep searching.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I would expect your age is the cause. Everything is based on statistics and they show that drivers aged 70+ are at an increased risk of being involved in an incident and I would hazard a guess that many of those are minor scrapes and dings to their own vehicle - I know my wife's late uncle had all 4 corners of his new shiny car scraped..
  • Hi sea shell. Yes they are compulsory so cannot be changed. The voluntary excess will be on top of the £620. I have no illnesses, no claims, no convictions, 12 years ncd and even retained my post 70 licence groups by having a medical. So I’m pretty miffed at these extortionate excesses.
  • Sea_Shell
    Have you tried the non comparison site insurers?

Direct line
    Aviva

Maybe contact a local insurance broker, if you can find one.

Or, also
    Saga
    AA

Good luck!
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Sea_Shell
    Also maybe it's a mix of factors, with an excess for each "part"

Vehicle? Is it high grouped?
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    I generally get quotes via the comparison sites , find the cheapest then go to those insurers directly.
    I am almost the same age and have never come across not being able to select the excess whether it be £50 or £650.
    I have two cars and this year was able to pick the excess I wanted and both policies were in the region of £350 which included breakdown cover , protected no claims , key cover and legal and interest .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure