PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenant is Living in Garage

Options
Hi All,

I have a garage en-bloc which I have let privately for a number of years. My previous tenant moved out and so subsequently I found a new tenant who needed the garage to store a motor cycle.

Long story short, he didn't pay rent and as per terms of the contract we could take back the garage after 21 days of non-payment. We gave him a couple of weeks extra to either pay/hand the back but nothing. We sent a contractor to change the locks and it's apparent that he was living in the garage. I've tried every which way to get hold of him but no luck for 3 weeks now (after the original notice). So, my question is, does anyone know if I can remove/dispose of the items in the garage?

Note: there is nothing specific in the contract about removal of items.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What are the terms of the contract? As this appears to be a commercial tenancy I am not familiar with the eviction process for arrears.

The fact that it is "apparent that he was living in the garage" is irrelevant - it is not an AST (I assume!).
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    TR1 wrote: »
    ............ So, my question is, does anyone know if I can remove/dispose of the items in the garage?

Note: there is nothing specific in the contract about removal of items.

Then you can't : (Well you CAN but you MAY NOT - a bit like people CAN drive on M4 at 90mph but may not..)

Change locks. Take LOADS of photos inside & out, ideally date&time stamped. Leave notice explaining he can have his stuff in a manner and time to be agreed: (I'd not let him back in)

I'd also explain to local council what's been going on - in case someone tries to prosecute you for permitting this.

What sort of tenancy agreement? If an AST the above is incorrect!
  • TR1
    TR1 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

We have a Lease contract in place for the garage with tenant's and landlord's covenants.

The terms clearly state that the garage can be used only for the storage of belongings/parking and state as mentioned that after 21 days of non-payment the landlord may forfeit the lease
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2019 at 4:04PM
    Options
    What address for him did you use to serve notices on him?

Is there nothing about what happens if tenancy breached?
  • TR1
    edited 10 October 2019 at 4:21PM
    Options
    We sent notice via email and to an address he gave at the beginning of the agreement (and is on the agreement).

There are clauses which set out what can/can't be done in the garage (TT's covenants) but regarding a breach, the only clause is that the LL can forfeit the lease (for arrears or 'significant breach'). There are also clauses that he will owe damages etc. etc., but i'm not worried about that at the moment, just wondered about the issue of him appearing to live there.

Have taken the above advice and informed council who in turn advised to inform 101, who in turn told me to get back in touch with the council... thanks all.
  • ripplyuk
    ripplyuk Posts: 2,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Poor guy though. If he’s living in a garage, he must be really desperate. The council won’t rehouse him. It’s starting to get cold outside too. Could you not let him stay for a while?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Presumably the items in the garage are all his worldly belongings and goods. You have a legal Duty of Care to make them available to him and to let him know how/when/where he can collect them. You have to keep them safe for "a reasonable amount of time" (so months, not days/weeks). You can't sell his stuff to repay the debt.

Poor sod must be desperate. Get in touch with local homeless charities, find out what they offer, try to help him to get with those people.
  • TR1
    Options
    Thanks again.

Honestly, would be happy to help the guy - but we've been unable to contact him now for over a month. Phone number doesn't connect, emails ignored, not sure he lives at the address we have.

I suppose best course of action is to email/write again, change the locks and dispose of items if we haven't heard in four weeks. Don't think you can say fairer than that.
  • Haha, don't you love them! :)
    TR1 wrote: »
    ....informed council who in turn advised to inform 101, who in turn told me to get back in touch with the council...
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    101 is the police non emergency number. I don't see that this is a police matter.
    Social services or housing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport