Hive heating payments

Options
Hi,

I have a bit on an issue with Hive Heating.

I took out a plan with them in September 2018, the plan was for 10.75 per month for 12 months.

Today, I got an email off them to say I had an outstanding payment of 96 pounds.

As far as I knew, I'd been paying every month (I rarely check my bank account).

My services have never been interrupted because of this, and I called them to ask what was going on, in case this was a scam email.

The operator said I did indeed owe 96 pounds. So I asked why am I only just being contacted about this a year later? He was unable to answer this. He has since escalated this to the payment team who will allegedly call me back on Monday.

When he asked if I wanted to make a payment, I said I could pat half now, he refused to do this and said he could only take it in full.

My question is, if they can only take it in full, can I refuse this, as technically this is their fault. If they had contacted me a year ago to say there was a problem, I could have sorted this out there and then. Why wait a year to tell me there's a problem.

It seems they've only just found out themselves and are trying to backtrack. He asked me to check the spam folder of my emails to make sure none from 2018 had gone out then, low and bhold there wasn't any.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• iammumtoone
    Options
    Had you been paying them every month? Have you checked you bank account?

If you hadn't been paying they are right you owe them the money.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We have Hive
    It was X per month for the first 12 months (to buy the equipment) and then Y per month for .... I'm not sure what - it's on my 'to do' list to investigate.

Maybe you stopped the DD after 12 months and they put you onto the secondary payments thingy?
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We bought Hive off British Gas as a one of payment including installation for app £220 2 or 3 years ago, I would presume that in your case they are correct re the underpayment.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    1. What did you agree to pay them initially?
    2. What have you paid them? You can check your bank account, every bank will provide historic statements either online or offline.

Come back to us when you know if you've paid what you contractually agreed or not. If you haven't, then they can demand that you pay.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,487 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    It can be argued that the OP is equally at fault as they should have checked to ensure that payments were being taken. There is also fault on the Hive provider as they shouldn't have waited 12 months before raising the issue.
    In a situation like that there should be room for compromise over the rate of payment to make up the shortfall.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    We have Hive
    It was X per month for the first 12 months (to buy the equipment) and then Y per month for .... I'm not sure what - it's on my 'to do' list to investigate.
    Finally got to my to do list because I changed bank and the payment card had expired!
    The £2.99 pcm is for 'insurance of your hive products as well as offering you discount on any further Hive purchases'

I told the guy that I wanted to cancel!
  • tired_dad
    Options
    you pay for hive?

It runs our boiler and is available over the web to switch on heat/water.

I'm sure we don't pay.

What do you get for the money?
  • ashe
    ashe Posts: 1,553 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    He gets hive, instead of buying it up front
  • paulcam
    paulcam Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hive costs money? I thought the deal was that these services were free and they sold your data... although that's not how they put it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure