The Final Furlong

Options

Comments

• Dottles1
    Dottles1 Posts: 494 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening all
    I've been a busy bee for the last couple of days. I was back at work yesterday and then out for the open air cinema in the evening. The tickets had already been paid for and my friend and I both brought food items for tea alfresco. It was lovely and the film was good too, the crowd sang along and clapped and cheered which you don't get in the cinema, a fab time was had by all. Though there was food and drink available on site, we didn't partake and so it was another NSD day for me. I've no idea how many that is for the month but might set myself a challenge for September.
    Today was not as I bought GD3 lunch and caught up with her plans now that she has left college. She has decided to take a year out to save up and spend 3 months travelling in Europe before going to Uni next September. Good for her I say.
    Tomorrow is payday but my new budget won't start until the 1st. My bank account is at zero, still not into my overdraft which is a first for me. Work have messed up my wages in that I will be overpaid this month but they can't tell me by how much. I have done a basic calculation (I worked in payroll years ago) and estimate £450 to put away as thy will reclaim the overpayment in September's pay. It's a pain as I wont know my true salary for another month. Oh well hopefully I'll have over estimated.
    On a brighter note, I still have money in the holding account and as yet the 2nd payment for the cc hasn't come out yet so fingers crossed it won't now.
    Tomorrow I will do a shopping list for the big shop, plan my budgets for September and see what I can pay into pots and overpayments. After that I may do some more in the garden if the rain stays away.
    And now to bed
    Goodnight all
    Dottles x
    CC1 Aug19 [STRIKE]£7587.85[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC2 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£1185.58[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    CC3 Aug 19 [STRIKE]£544.95[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
    O/D Aug [STRIKE]£20[/STRIKE] Sept [STRIKE] £100[/STRIKE] Oct £0
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
    Total debt Aug 2019[STRIKE]£9318.38[/STRIKE] Aug 20 £0
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Dottles1 wrote: »
    Not bad for a day out and, may I add, I resisted the lovely plants for sale. x

That's the hardest part of a NT day out! Well done for resisting :)
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Dottles1
    edited 30 August 2019 at 2:59PM
    Options
    Those and the cake !! Honeysucklelou :)
    I'm number crunching and will be back later.
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
  • Dottles1
    edited 30 August 2019 at 3:03PM
    Options
    Afternoon
    I have totalled up my figures and have balanced to £1 out. I'm happy with that for my first month. So... I had an underspend on groceries and petrol and the second payment for the C/C did not come out after all so I have been able to reduce my O/D by another £100 (now stands at £100), paid £100 to USA fund (now £150) and £50 to emergency fund (now £100) and have started a birthday pot with £30. I have paid £283.21 out of this month's money to the holding account as well as £450 for the salary o/payment. I will need to pay for the hotel for the wedding (I think this is £145) and as the bride & groom have requested cash rather than gifts I will take this out of my personal spends for the month.
    September's budgets are as follows:
    Groceries = £150
    Personal spends = £100
    Petrol = £50

I have also decided that as my salary has reduced I will pay myself 50% of all income from private work and put the other 50% away for tax/advertising I also have a few things to sell on FB this month so that can go to C/C debt. I'm pretty pleased with that.

I will update debt totals when all payments have gone out.

Today has been another NSD and tomorrow will be as well as I won't use new budgets until 1st. I'm also going to try to keep out of my O/D again in September so that it won't incur a fee again. If that happens I should be able to clear that next month.

I have felt much more in control of my spending even though it has been quite a spendy month and having a budget has highlighted my areas of temptation or just not thinking. I found myself in a garage saying "I'm not paying 90 pence for a can of diet coke" and then checking my bank and finding I'd paid £1.30 for a bottle of the same from the vending machine at work without giving it a thought. On the plus side, I have taken lunch to work each day which I want to keep up when I'm back to regular hours next week. Some of this was being social as the others go to the college cafe! for lunch mostly but I have just taken my lunch in there with them and nobody has said I can't as yet. Also my own lunches are much better even if only a sandwich some days.

It is great that I know that the hotel cost and wedding gift are already covered this month which takes away some of the stress and that I can still go out and have fun on a budget. It just needs to be planned in advance.

September should be a quieter month socially. Apart from the wedding I have a theatre trip planned on 13th with my DIL and her mother. The ticket was part of my birthday present form DIL & DS. I'm sure there will be coffee and catch ups along the way but nothing too expensive.

I haven't worked out when my debt free date will be yet as there are too many things still up I the air but I may have a look at that in January.
    First month over and next step forward, there's a long way still to go.
    Bye for now
    Dottles x
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Everything sounds really positive, so well done! ;)
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi Dottles - you sound like you are really on it - well done. Great use of NT card. Great that the hen do wasn't as costly as you imagined. Your garden sounds like its coming together too despite the incident with the strimmer. Looking good.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    You've really planned your budget out very well dottles - all kudos to you!

I always think that food is one of the easiest things to cut back on - especially if you are living on your own. I've saved a tremendous amount myself by bringing in my own lunches to work and foregoing the morning Pret flat white and using Aldi coffee pods in the firm's nespresso machine instead!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Dottles1
    Options
    Thanks Chrystal, Savingholmes and Seasidegal, I feel so much better knowing where I am with my money however it is only the 1st month so don't want to get ahead of myself. Keeping this diary really helps me stay on track though.
    I spent £49.45 yesterday on groceries but have full freezer and cupboards and doubt I will need to top up this week and hopefully only bits and fresh fruit & veg for the rest of the month.
    Some private work done this morning so £30 to put into holding account with more expected on Friday. I hope to get to the point where I can pay it directly over to a C/C but right now I'm not confident I won't need it. I guess this will be easier as my emergency fund grows.
    I spent a lovely afternoon with GD4 today before she goes back to school on Wednesday. These times are so precious as they grow up so fast and before you know it they have busy lives of their own.
    Back to work tomorrow and the end of my short weeks. I had a phone call today to say that all but one of my students have passed their exam and are progressing to degree level. I'm so pleased for them (and a bit proud). These are the times that I remember why I do what I do.

I will need to get petrol tomorrow but other than that I'm going to try for NSD's for the rest of the week until Saturday. It should be doable.
    I'm off to bed now as I will need to be up early in the morning (groan).

Sleep well all
    Dottles x
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,292 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done to you on your students :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Dottles1
    edited 4 September 2019 at 12:16AM
    Options
    Thanks Beanie, I'm teaching the first year of the degree this year so will be following them in their next step.
    Well, I survived my first proper day back at work and got quite a bit done but not a lot of it was what I had planned so will need to get my head down for the next two days. I might take myself of into a quiet room where I won't be disturbed.
    I spent £30 on petrol but otherwise nothing today. Evening meal was fish from the freezer baked in foil with slices of lemon and lemon balm from the garden, sliced courgettes (also from the garden) baked with butter and black pepper, lovely.
    The garden veg is slowing down now and I've been taking stock of what was successful and what not so much. Courgettes-yes, tomatoes-ok, runner beans-disappointing, borlotti beans-nothing, kale-carterpillar feast, aubergines-nothing, chillies-yes, lettuces- not bad. This year I have planted quite a bit in pots and I will use this as a basis for planning/making changes for next year.
    I've been thinking about my health lately and have decided to get back on the diet to try to lose some weight. I calculated my average steps over the past couple of weeks which only came to 6,000 daily so am going to try to up this gradually starting with 7,000 this week. Food wise I do like to cook from scratch which has been helped by budgeting and therefore meal planning so this area should be easy to tidy up a bit. I would lie to have lost 10lb by the time I go away at Christmas. Should be achievable.
    steps today = 7160 go me!!
    Night all
    Dottles x
    CC4 Aug 2020 £0
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories