MSE News: Warning over new compulsory car insurance rules

Options

Comments

• Rover_Driver
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    I think it all depends on if, when the law changes, you can declare SORN without surrending your tax disc. If you can then I don't think anyone here has any problem.
    I can't find anything official saying what the plan is on that front

It's already in force, no changes to declaration of SORN yet though.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    It's already in force, no changes to declaration of SORN yet though.

What is in force?

Not continuous insurance!
  • Rover_Driver
    Options
    Yes, since 4th February.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, since 4th February.

You are mistaken.
  • Rover_Driver
    Rover_Driver Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2011 at 9:15PM
    Options
    The Road Safety Act 2006 (Commencement No. 6) Order 2011

Provisions coming into force
    The following provisions of the Road Safety Act 2006 shall come into force on 4th February 2011—
    (a)section 22(1) and (2);
    (b)section 22(3) and accordingly Schedule 5;
    (c)section 22(5);
    (d)section 22(6) to the extent to which it relates to subsection (7); and
    (e)section 22(7).
  • charlie83
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    charlie83 wrote: »
    This seems like a con to me , i have an older car which i keep to use just a month in the summer but under these new laws i will have to buy a years insurance , tax the car , use it for the month and THEN cancel the insurance and lose money then hand the tax back and AGAIN lose money ,/QUOTE]

What do you do differently at the moment then?

At the moment i keep my car taxed but off the road so i can enjoy my car with temp cover a couple of days a year but now i will have to surrender the tax disc and go thru reapplying for a tax disc to then hand it back when summer is over or buy a full years insurance which may seem fine to those of you on here who pay a couple of hundred pounds a year but as a young driver i have just had quotes of upto £3000 thats the con , even tho i use my car a few days with temp cover that £70 or so is not enough for the insurance company's they want more
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So under the new rules, you have to surrender the tax disc to "SORN" it??
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    corbyboy wrote: »
    Realistically how many people is this going to affect? Do many people keep their car in the garage uninsured? What if somebody steals it or the roof of the garage falls in. Car insurance doesn't just cover you if you cause a crash.

A lot of people who own classic cars or motorhomes that's who. I have had to declare my Land rover as SORN. This was because of the rule change of a few years ago that stated even though my vehicle is on private land it must still have a tax disk (well, a virtual one in reality). This was bad enough but now this just makes it even more complex. It all just appears to be bureaucracy gone crazy.

All I can say is that I hope plenty of people play this silly little game on our own terms. By that I mean yes, declare the vehicle SORN. When the person want sot use that vehicle get it insured and un-SORNed just for a day or two (classic car shows, days out in the case of motorhomes) and then declare SORN again once those days are gone. Repeat this process over and over again throughout the year. This, multiplied by all the individual owners will really bog the department down in applications etc.

Maybe there will be a rethink then with a more sensible way of tackling the uninsured drivers? A disk in the window like the tax disk perhaps? Insurance on a vehicle rather than a driver?
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • triticale
    Options
    The whole motor insurance industry is rotten. Motor Insurance for road vehicles is required by law and as such should be provided by the government for set fees, without profit being a motivation.

However, anyone who has ever dealt with the DVLA inbreds knows that they are incapable of taking this on!

As has been said by other posters, purely a money making exercise (as was the introduction of SORN) which punishes law-abiding drivers and does nothing to solve the problem of those flouting the law.

Disgraceful.
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    triticale wrote: »
    The whole motor insurance industry is rotten. Motor Insurance for road vehicles is required by law and as such should be provided by the government for set fees, without profit being a motivation.

However, anyone who has ever dealt with the DVLA inbreds knows that they are incapable of taking this on!

As has been said by other posters, purely a money making exercise (as was the introduction of SORN) which punishes law-abiding drivers and does nothing to solve the problem of those flouting the law.

Disgraceful.

Oh my! This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The government could easily offer a very basic third party cover. Perhaps with special rates for the unemployed in order for them to have that little bit extra help onto the work ladder. Leave the higher levels of insurance to the private sector. I think just might force insurers to then be a bit more competitive and bring rates down.

Actually, thinking about it this does happen already...sort. Those of us who are disabled (like myself) can take advantage of the Motability scheme (I personally don't) and part of that is indeed motor insurance. So, it is possible.
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure