Energy Supplier Switch Block

Options
Hi All,
I've recently submitted a request to switch energy providers from Tonik Energy to E-On because i can't afford to stay with Tonik. Their estimated bills and charges confuse me to the point that i don't feel that i can accurately budget per month for this company plus E-On appears to be much cheaper.

Tonik have emailed me to say that my switch request has been blocked because of arrears on my account (around £120). I've checked the Ofgem website and it says that a supplier can't block my request to go to a cheaper provider unless the arrears are over £500 per utility but an adviser from Tonik told me yesterday that they can in fact block a switch request and this is a standard part of staff training to advise this.

My question is can Tonik block my switch request to a cheaper provider or not?

Many thanks,

Mike

Comments

• Flt._Lt._Biggles
    Options
    MikeP2019 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I've recently submitted a request to switch energy providers from Tonik Energy to E-On because i can't afford to stay with Tonik. Their estimated bills and charges confuse me to the point that i don't feel that i can accurately budget per month for this company plus E-On appears to be much cheaper.

Tonik have emailed me to say that my switch request has been blocked because of arrears on my account (around £120). I've checked the Ofgem website and it says that a supplier can't block my request to go to a cheaper provider unless the arrears are over £500 per utility but an adviser from Tonik told me yesterday that they can in fact block a switch request and this is a standard part of staff training to advise this.

My question is can Tonik block my switch request to a cheaper provider or not?

Many thanks,

Mike

Are you on a pre-payment meter?

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/how-switch-energy-supplier-and-shop-better-deal/how-switch-energy-supplier-if-you-re-debt
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sound like the OP may not have been providing monthly reads, which usually ends in tears. Always compare the annual cost based on actual annual use obtained from meter readings.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure