Help with possible Sky/Freesat solutions

Options
I have Sky Q, out of contract.!

I'm renting and about to move into another property (mortgaged).!

I would like to know options. The new house doesn't have a sky dish. The correct positioning of the dish will be at the back of the house and the TV is in the living room at the front of the house.

1. I don't want cables tacked to the outside of the house or thrown over the roof. How can I get around this. I know Sky won't be interested.!

2. Can I remove the Sky Q dish myself and get a third party to install it at the new house with discreet cable management? Effectively by-passing Sky. Do I own the dish? I know certain Sky Q equipment is loaned.!

3. Can I attach the Sky Q dish to a freesat set-top box and cancel Sky?!

Im really appreciative of any knowledge/advice from those more in the know.!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    1. Get an independent aerial/satellite fitter, not Sky.

2. Don't know if you own the Sky dish or not.

3. Sky Q uses a proprietary (wideband) system between the LNB (dish) and the box, which won't work with Freesat. Some LNBs are hybrids with both Q and conventional outputs, but they're not usually fitted by Sky.

https://www.satshop.co.uk/sky-q-lnb
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are out of contract, then you own the dish. The Sky Q equipment remains the property of Sky. If you cancel the Sky Q contract, then the equipment has to be returned to them.

If you do decide to go down the Freesat route, then the installer of the dish will fit the appropriate LNB. You may find it cheaper for the installer to supply and fit a new dish rather than reuse the old one.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    If you are out of contract, then you own the dish. The Sky Q equipment remains the property of Sky. If you cancel the Sky Q contract, then the equipment has to be returned to them.

If you do decide to go down the Freesat route, then the installer of the dish will fit the appropriate LNB. You may find it cheaper for the installer to supply and fit a new dish rather than reuse the old one.

You own the dish, LNB and cabling from the day it is installed. Only Sky Q equipment is rented.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure