Claims help

Options
Hi
My wife is currently ill and have been for the past 10 months.
Due to her illness she's on high rate mobility and pip and not expected to return to work. I'm working full time but she has carers in 4 times a day in addition I also care for her when I get hom from work
What can we actually claim for? I've read up about reduction in council tax, carers allowance, heating, enhanced pension due to her condition.
I know it sounds as if I'm scrounging but my wife and I have worked hard all our lives so I'm in unfamiliar territory.
Her half pay ends in June this year and I still have bills to pay so need some good advice.

Comments

• Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if you wife is of working age, then possibly Contribution Based (or New Style) ESA:
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/before-you-apply-for-esa/eligiblility-for-esa/
    This is not means tested, but depends on NI contributions in the last two tax years.
    If placed in the Support Group it can continue indefinitely.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cwrtcoed wrote: »
    Hi
    My wife is currently ill and have been for the past 10 months.
    Due to her illness she's on high rate mobility and pip and not expected to return to work. I'm working full time but she has carers in 4 times a day in addition I also care for her when I get hom from work
    What can we actually claim for? I've read up about reduction in council tax, carers allowance, heating, enhanced pension due to her condition.
    I know it sounds as if I'm scrounging but my wife and I have worked hard all our lives so I'm in unfamiliar territory.
    Her half pay ends in June this year and I still have bills to pay so need some good advice.

It is possible that your wife can claim contribution based ESA now if she is receiving contractual sick pay as this would not affect her entitlement.

The best thing to do is to put in a claim now and let them tell you whether she is entitled to this.

Carer's Allowance cannot be paid to you because you are working full time.

As regards council tax reduction you would need to contact your local council as they all have their own schemes. It may be that your wife is disregarded in their calculation and you might be entitled to a 25% deduction in your council tax. Depends on your local council.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure