How long do trousers last?????

Options
Boohoo
Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Hello.

I bought my dad 2 pairs of trousers for Christmas from an online company and i think they have a store also.
I ordered on 23/11/2017 and delivered 30/11/2017 and both pairs were ok.
He has worn them ok since Christmas but last week he was ironing them and noticed the stitching had come apart in 2 places and you could put 2 maybe 3 fingers in the holes.
I emailed the firm on Monday and the reply last night was the trousers only have a 3 month guarantee and there is nothing more they can/will do.
I have looked that t&c's but could not find any "3 month guarantee" there.

It may only be £30 but is there anything more i/they can do?

I paid by credit card if that makes a difference.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would be contacting the card company and asking how you go about getting a refund when the seller is being unreasonable and will not refund/replace faulty products.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It depends on the quality, I'd say. My work trousers are expected to last 5 years and I've had my current pair for longer than that (worn every other day).
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Options
    If the stitching has come apart can you not stitch it back again? Would you want to return them if a button fell off? No you would stitch it back on.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Some of my trousers are 30 + years old .
    Not cheap circa £150 rather than £30 .
  • Boohoo
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    If the stitching has come apart can you not stitch it back again? Would you want to return them if a button fell off? No you would stitch it back on.

Maybe he could but that's not the point but thank you for taking the time to reply.
    The trouser's are lined so to get the stitching to look the same as the original stitching you would have to undo/unpick the stiching of the lining and then resew the damaged stitching so the stitching is on the inside of the trouser's and then re-stitch the lining back to the original state.
    If you don't do that and sew the damaged parts it would look so wrong.

Here is a link to the t&c's that i could find.

https://www.chums.co.uk/Terms
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Reviews are awful.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.chums.co.uk

Tell them you are not claiming under their guarantee but under your statutory rights, and you expect trousers to last more than three months. If they are not willing to help then you should issue a letter before action, stating you'll go to small claims if they do not provide a suitable remedy.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Options
    I would be contacting the card company and asking how you go about getting a refund when the seller is being unreasonable and will not refund/replace faulty products.
    And what do you think the CC company will do when the price of the trousers were only £30 per pair.
  • Greta_Sharbo
    Options
    Thought this was going to be a joke at first.

How do you make trousers last? Make your jumper first!

I'll get my coat ... and trousers.
  • Boohoo
    Options
    Reviews are awful.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.chums.co.uk

Tell them you are not claiming under their guarantee but under your statutory rights, and you expect trousers to last more than three months. If they are not willing to help then you should issue a letter before action, stating you'll go to small claims if they do not provide a suitable remedy.

I have sent an email to them early today before i started the thread on here.
    I said that the 3 month guarantee is not in their t&c's that i could see and i would of thought the trouser's would last longer than 12 weeks and i will wait for their reply before i decide on my next step.
    My dad has 2 different colours of these trousers and and he only wears them on Sunday when he goes out for dinner and he wears 1 pair one Sunday and the other pair the following week.
    So he has only worn them 6/7 times and only for 6 hours at a time so 36 hours or so and they start to come apart.
    He has bought other stuff from them 4/5 years ago and they are still perfect today.

Thank you all for your replies so far.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts