Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    underhanded
    Bike for commute to work - 200 budget
    • 30th Oct 13, 3:36 PM
    Bike for commute to work - 200 budget 30th Oct 13 at 3:36 PM
    Hi,

I've recently acquired a new job around 4 miles from my home in the city of Bristol, so have decided that cycling to work is my best option. I've cycled before in Bristol (to and from uni) so no the roads, and its generally a cycle friendly city, so am keen to get going. My last bike, was bought for 20 off Gumtree, and as I'm sure you can imagine, was rubbish. The wheell actually fell off whilst I was cycling, and after a quick inspection from a cycle-savvy friend, was deemed a piece of junk that didn't deserve to be repaired!

So what I'm looking for this time around is a good quality, reliable, functionable bike, with a budget of around 200. I'm going to be cycling on roads (a few hills -its bristol) and wouldn't mind taking the bike for occasional treks to Bath etc, so think Hybrid style bike is best for me (not full on road, or chunky mountainbike) I know this is hard to come by (judging from internet research) and that its hard to get a good bike for 400, let alone 200. I am currently enquiring with my current employer is they qualify for the cycle to work scheme, if they do, I guess that means the RRP of the bike could be around 250. I'd also need accessories, but I would only need lights, lock and helmet, and think I can get these all for around 30.

Does anyone have any suggestions of bikes that would fit what I've asked for? Failing that, can any Bristolians recommend a good shop to deal with (I live near to Halfords, and have heard bad things)

Thanks

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Debs; 12-11-2013 at 4:56 PM.
Page 3
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,953Posts Today

6,313Users online

Martin's Twitter