My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Just popping by to say I have caught up with your diary, after being away form the boards for quite a while. Just never seemed to find time to come on line and trying to reduce the amount of time I spend on computer, so have to prioritise. Glad your mum's op went ok. I am waiting for my to get an appointment for a biopsy and scan, as it looks as though her breast cancer may have returned after nearly 40 years. Also my dad awaiting scan for a leg problem, so I can sympathise with how you feel.
    Well done on the sale dress. I love a bargain
    Hi Ploppy, I wondered where you had gone :) I'm sorry your mum has the same problem and I hope for positive news for you,they are a worry aren't they xx
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Glad to hear the op' went well, OBL. Let's hope those tests are ok too. It's best, I think, to stay in overnight. An elderly relative of mine had the same op a couple of years ago. She lives alone with no close family & the hospital wanted to send her home the same day. She insisted she wasn't ready & was allowed to stay overnight. I know hospitals are terribly stretched, but I do think they're the best place to be after surgery, just for safety, really.
    Anyway, hope all goes well,
    F
    Thanks Foxgloves,to be honest I thought they would end up keeping her in because she has had heart surgery in the past so is a high risk patient and her blood pressure can be quite unstable,they do like to get people out as quickly as possible mainly because research actually shows that people recover faster in their own homes,but I think that's only true if you have a good support network and someone to look after you, it would be awful to send an elderly person home after surgery with no care in place,Mum was glad she stayed in she said she felt awful last night and my dad would not have coped well x
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    So today was a work day and was supposed to be the restart of my diet and a NSD,I got to work and one of th student nurses had baked loads of cakes to raise money for charity,so I spent 50 p on a slice of Victoria sponge,so that was my good intentions blown out the water......mind you the cake was yummy.

I also forgot to buy hairspray yesterday so went to our in hospital Boots to get some because we get NHS discount in there,my hairspray is £3.14 for a large can and it was on a two for £5 offer so I picked up two but then also got 50p staff discount so got two large cans for £4.50,I'm happy with that and it will last me for ages

My manager has been really good while my mum has been ill and today she let me pop over to visit mum during my shift so I could see her before she went home,I thought that was really nice of her and she also asked how mum was and seemed genuinely interested as well,she asked me how I was doing which was nice too,I think when I first told her about it she expected me to take some time off,but I find when there is stuff like this going on I'm better going to work,I mean I can't do anything really so I might as well Cary on as normal,if mum gets really sick then things might change but I'm hoping it won't come to that
    Anyway I went to see mum and she actually looked really good,she looked a bit tired but that's to be expected,she showed the wound which even though I've seen photos before I still found really shocking,I know I managed to hide it though so that was ok,it's one thing seeing a photo of a stranger and quite another seeing your poor mum having that done to her,she asked the nurse if she could have a look herself the night she came back from theatre and the nurse asked her if she was sure but mum wanted to get it over and down with and they had shown her photos at her pre op visit so she sort of knew what to expect,she said it looked exactly as she thought it would.
    Iexpect her to have a few moments along the way where she gets upset but my mum is not renowned for showing off her emotions so we will see. We did have a bit of a giggle about the prothesis they have given her,it's very good but it's stuffed with the same stuffing I use in my Xmas decorations,she has a bag with some spare stuffing so we were saying she can plump it up a bit if she fancies a bigger cleavage,the lady in the next bed came over for a look and we all had a bit of a laugh about it
    I'm popping up to the house tomorrow to see how she is and I've got some magazines for her,I think Dad might need to go and get some shopping so he can do that while I sit with mum,I just so relieved the op went well and she is now home ,she just needs to recover now and try to get back to normal,she will have a follow up in two weeks and I think they will let us know then if it's spread,that's the bit I'm dreading but I am going to try not to think about it too much and we will cross that bridge if and when we come to it,her consultant did say he thought it was completely treatable ( he didn't say Curable and there is a difference) so we will wait and see

Tomorrow morning before I go to mums I have my follow up appointment with my surgery to see how I've got on with no painkillers so that should be interesting,its certainly worked to a point,the crushing constant everyday headache has gone and although I have had a headache today and yesterday it was only for about an hour today and I didnt take any painkillers it just went away by itself,I think yesterday's was probably caused by the weather as the atmosphere was very heavy and I walked into town ,it came on when I got to town and went after about half an hour so not too bad
    I just need to check to see what I can do if I have a flare up of pain from the Fibro because that can be quite dibillitating at times so I need a plan of attack,I can manage a mild flare up without anything but a major one will stop me doing anything and I need to be at work so that can't happen
    Interestingly since I've been told I can't be off sick I've not had massive amounts of painwhich says it all really,I don't need a new body I need a new brain because that's where the problem is,I've been listening to the free lessons on the Curable app and it's so simple when they explain it......I just need to learn how to control it now:)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Forgot to say in my last post that I didnt feel sick at all all day today:j:j:j
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It sounds as though you are making lots of progress right now! I like the idea of a diet that starts with a slice of Victoria Sponge! My kind of diet. :) Having a little treat may actually help you stay on the rails through the day though.

Having had an op myself recently, I can understand both the need to stay in immediately after (though mine was late in the day so I didn't wake up properly till very late evening) and the thing about recovering at home. I think I benefitted from both and I expect your Mum will too. What I didn't expect was the toll on DH from having to do things for me, not that he complains but he's a busy person and he has lots of commitments so adding in doing things I can't do is significant. I still need help to get in and out of the bath, for instance, and I can't open tins. Tiny things but they add up. I don't know how your Mum and Dad will be affected but some small changes have helped me be more independent (like buying ready-sliced onions!). From your work and having fibro you are probably already experienced in these things of course... it's certainly made me appreciate the knock-on effect of my current limitations but I'm finding ways round lots of them.

It's very positive that the consultant says it's treatable. Yes, it's not necessarily the same as curable but it does sound as though it's something that can be lived with.

That Curable app sounds really helpful - although I'm lucky enough not to have chronic pain, I'm interested in the psychology behind it. So you are really finding it useful? If it enables you to be freer of pain/medication/sick leave it has to be good and there will be wider implications in dealing with other things (perhaps even my chronic self-sabotage?!)

P.S. Your manager sounds nice. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:10PM
    Options
    It sounds as though you are making lots of progress right now! I like the idea of a diet that starts with a slice of Victoria Sponge! My kind of diet. :) Having a little treat may actually help you stay on the rails through the day though.

Having had an op myself recently, I can understand both the need to stay in immediately after (though mine was late in the day so I didn't wake up properly till very late evening) and the thing about recovering at home. I think I benefitted from both and I expect your Mum will too. What I didn't expect was the toll on DH from having to do things for me, not that he complains but he's a busy person and he has lots of commitments so adding in doing things I can't do is significant. I still need help to get in and out of the bath, for instance, and I can't open tins. Tiny things but they add up. I don't know how your Mum and Dad will be affected but some small changes have helped me be more independent (like buying ready-sliced onions!). From your work and having fibro you are probably already experienced in these things of course... it's certainly made me appreciate the knock-on effect of my current limitations but I'm finding ways round lots of them.

It's very positive that the consultant says it's treatable. Yes, it's not necessarily the same as curable but it does sound as though it's something that can be lived with.

That Curable app sounds really helpful - although I'm lucky enough not to have chronic pain, I'm interested in the psychology behind it. So you are really finding it useful? If it enables you to be freer of pain/medication/sick leave it has to be good and there will be wider implications in dealing with other things (perhaps even my chronic self-sabotage?!)

P.S. Your manager sounds nice. :)

Lol my diet has well and truely gone down the pan today, DD got really good grades for her first year of Uni so we celebrated with a pizza:eek: she got a 1st for her first year though so it needed doing :rotfl:

I think my Dad is enjoying doing bits for mum becasue she never lets him do anything although he does most of the cooking anyway, luckily they have things like a walk in shower already so no bath to get in and out of ,I went to check on them today and they were doing ok, the grand children have all been round too,they all drive and have offers to do the shopping etc,my sisters middle daughter is a garden designer and she does their big garden jobs for them anyway,Mum has spent the last two weeks cleaning the house from top to bottom so nothing will need doing for a while,I said to her the other day that they used to go on holiday for two weeks and the house didn't get cleaned then and it was still standing when they got back,she said she hadn't thought of it like that,my DD2 has offered to go up and donthe housework and of course I can go on my days off,it's very difficult to get my mum to let you do stuff though so we will have to wait and see

The Curable app has been good up to a point,I have only used the free content so far ,this consists of lessons on pain and how it works in the brain plus there has been one meditation so far and there are some inspiring recovery stories,just listening to the science behind how your brain perceives pain has helped me so much,for instance my hip was hurting this morning as I walked down the road to my GP surgery,I know there is nothing wrong with my hip but my brain thinks otherwise,previously I would be thinking to myself about the pain and how much it was hurting then I would worry about what was causing it ,this sends a message to the brain that there is something to be scared of and so it sends out more warnings in the form of pain messages,they suggest reframing the internal conversation,so I would be saying"ok there's nothing wrong here" then telling myself that I'm feeling comfortable and my body is working as it should be,so it's positive self talk and lo and behold after about 5 minutes of this my hip stopped hurting,:eek: they say tha if you have had chronic pain for years and you have been living in this pain fear cycle your brain has had as in my case 15 years of negative self talk,so now I have to switch it around to a more positive mindset,that's a really simple way of explaining it but that's the basic premise,I'm going to read the book I bought before I commit to paying for the app but I'm thinking on the benefits I've seen so far it would be worth it

My manager is really good,she has just won an award for her management skills ,she is firm but fair and if you need support she really is there for you:)
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:40PM
    Options
    I had my GP appointment today and was pleased to be able to him that my headache has mostly gone, he was impressed that I haven't taken any painkillers for two weeks, my blood results had also come back and all were normal, so basically I'm just going to carry on as I am and monitor the headache and if it starts to give me problems again I can go back and they will investigate further,they also have a headache clinic they can refer me to if I want to try that, I have noticed that since the headache has calmed down and I can tell where the pain is coming from that I have quite a painful neck ,he examined it and said my neck is quite tense so that probably isn't helping but I have a occy health clinic appointment next week so they can refer me for physio for that and hopefully that should sort my neck out,I had problems with it a few years ago and the physio cured it but I can't remember the exercises so need a refresher

I then went to see my mum and dad to make sure they were ok,Mum was enjoying sitting in the garden and looked good if a little tired,she said she was tired becasue the community nurse had phoned at 8.30 am to say they would be round during the morning to check the wound and the drain she still has in,mum doesn't normally get up until about 10 am so it was a bit of a shock for her,she is really impressed with her fake boob that the hospital gave her,she can wear it now even though the wound isn't healed yet as it's so soft,I th8nk she was relieved becasue you can't actually tell from looking at her that she has had anything done ,with her clothes on she looks exactly the same as before so that's a relief ,she's just worrying about her nails now but she has them done every Tuesday so will be going to get them done next week,I've said I will leave them be for a few days now and just phone becasue mum gets het up if she has too many visitors and she worries that you are being put out all the time,I've told her it doesn't matter but she won't listen,anyway I was very reassured by everything today so I think they will be ok for a few days,I dont know if my sisters are planning on coming down, I know one of them probably won't but my eldest sister might,we don't talk to each other so I never know what she is doing,it would be nice if they made the effort but I won't hold my breath,my eldest sister sent mum a lovely bouquet of flowers so that was thoughtful of her,they are just so dramatic and bossy all the time though and my mum doesn't like it,I think she is hoping they stay where they are:rotfl:

I should be in bed now but I'm waiting for the washing machine to finish because DD2 forgot to wash a uniform and she is working tomorrw:eek: I'm working too but I don't need as much sleep as she does:rotfl:
    This weeks most exciting news is that I only have two more sleeps until my Dartmoor adventure ride on Saturday.........I am soooo excited:j:j
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Well done indeed to your DD! That certainly merits a pizza!

Good news about your Mum too, and your GP appointment. Lots of positives. :)

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Just popped in before bed time for a quick update,I worked today and it was busy busy busy,I was in clinics all day and my feet were burning when I got home,I had a lovely shower then sprayed my feet with cold water,I also have a lovely peppermint foot cream so I treated them to some of that,I like to try and take care of my feet seeing as I'm on them so much,they feel great now
    Today was also a NSD:A
    I am also excited to say just one more sleep before my Dartmoor adventure in the morning, the ride is at 10 am so we have to leave here by 8.30 ish to make sure we get there,DD2 and her boyfriend are taking me and then they are going off for breakfast and a walk while I am riding,it finishes at 12 so we will be back in time for DDs boyfriend to watch the football,there is an annual craft fair on the green infornt of the cathedral and it's the last day tomorrow,so if we get back early enough I might go to that for a couple of hours in the afternoon,I rarely buy anything because it's an expensive craft fair but the goods on sale are all local and usually beautiful and I don't mind just looking,it depends how tired I am when we get back,if not I will be doing some of my sewing becasue I still haven't finished it:eek: DGS is having a naming ceremony on his birthday at the end of the month so I am going to definitely finish it in time for then ,I haven't got a lot to do now, all the weeks I had a headache I couldn't do it,now the headache has gone I can do some more
    Right that's me updated,I need to go to bed so I don't oversleep in the morning
    Have a good weekend everyone :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Have a super ride! I want to hear all about it!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport