PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on current situation?

Options
Hi all

I'm currently in the process of buying/selling and would be grateful for any advice on our current situation....

...Approx 6-8 weeks ago we found a buyer for our current house and found a home we wanted to buy. We got the full asking price for ours and got a good price on the house we intended to buy. All seemed to be going smoothly until the owner of the house we were buying decided to take the house off the market >:(

Anyway, about £700 worse off, a month has passed now and we have found another property we wish to buy. The problem is although our offer has been accepted the seller's have yet to start looking for a property, and even if they find something quick it may be part of a long chain etc...

My question is what are peoples thoughts to going ahead with selling ours, putting the money into savings and renting for a couple of months? I dont really want to hold the sell up, as if we lose the buyer we've no chance of getting the asking price again (prices have dropped slightly in our area, with most of the houses orginally on the market 2-3 months ago still on the market). I think this also puts us in a good position if anything else becomes available?

I thought this was a good idea, but having mentioned it to a few people they weren't as enthusiastic, which has made me wonder if I've missed any possible pitfulls etc?

Any advice gratefully received, sorry for the long post, thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Dan29
    Dan29 Posts: 4,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with you. In the current, buyers', market you don't want to lose your buyer if you can help it. There are many more houses to choose from now, so you should find one quickly and will be an attractive buyer as you won't have a chain.
  • Bani_2
    Bani_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did this (I.E. Moved in to rented whilst trying to find next house) It worked for me, but watch out for...
    1. Most renters will want a 6 month contract. Try a friend etc. But also think about how long it will take to find something you want and to go thru the process. It may take 4-6 months anyway!
    2. Rental costs should be covered by interest earned on investing capital from sale, but don't put money in to a long term account in case you find something quickly! Also consider putting the capital in account in lowest tax payers name to minmise tax payable on interest.
    3. If moving to unfurnished rental you will incur two sets of moving costs. If in to furnished then you will need to pay for storage, and more costly, insurance for stuff in storage.
    Just some of the personal lessons I learned, hope it helps. It worked for me.
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Selling first is a bit of a gamble.
    Not a good idea if prizes are rising.
    Nothing to lose and maybe something to gain when they are falling.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    Selling first is a bit of a gamble.
    Not a good idea if prizes are rising.
    Nothing to lose and maybe something to gain when they are falling.

Yeh to those owning property during the boom it must have been like winning prizes ;D ;D ;D
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My question is what are peoples thoughts to going ahead with selling ours, putting the money into savings and renting for a couple of months?

Can you negotiate a delayed completion with your buyers? In other words exchange contracts now, so you all know where you stand, but you can complete in say 3 months time.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Robert_Sterling_3
    Options
    Only your buyers themselves can answer that question.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Options
    My question is what are peoples thoughts to going ahead with selling ours, putting the money into savings and renting for a couple of months?

Can you negotiate a delayed completion with your buyers? In other words exchange contracts now, so you all know where you stand, but you can complete in say 3 months time.

I may be misreading your post but YOU get PAID ON COMPLETION ! You can't sit with the buyers money in your bank for several months earning interest and then complete :)
  • Fionnuala_2
    Options
    A few years ago I tortured (quite unintentionally) the purchaser of the flat I was selling at the time - I had found a property to move into, but the owner of that hadn't paid his mortgage for a few years so it got a bit messy getting him sorted out and trying to get my purchaser to understand that I wasn't fobbing her off.

However my buyer did hang on for months...I think it was five months in the end...possibly six The only complications were that the survey she had done expired...so I funded her a new one (didn't want to lose her!) and also I think I helped her get updated searches done. I also chucked in a few bits and pieces like 2 heaters and a few little bits of furniture. This all helped to keep her sweet and interested.

I instructed the estate agent to stop all forms of advertising/marketing of the property too, to give my buyer added peace of mind that she was most definitely not going to lose out. I didn't have to resort to reducing the price of the place.

As painful as it was it all worked out in the end and everybody got moved. It took 13 month s :o between putting my place on the market and moving out...was previously gazumped on a place I found, then somebody who made an offer literally disappeared. Hang on in there with your purchaser...if they have spent anything on the purchase eg a survey, then they are less likely to walk away.

I think that if you were to move into rented for six months (that's the minimum you can rent for as you probably know already) then you're putting yourself into a very strong position...certainly much stronger than you're in now. Don't be afraid, it'll work out wonderfully if you go with the flow!
  • Fionnuala_2
    Options
    Oops sorry..forgot to make one other point. When you exchange contracts you MUST make a date for completion which then becomes legal and binding. When I sold my last place (ie the one that took months and months and months to complete on) it sold on the day I put it on the market, much to my complete surprise (thought it would take a couple of months to go), but as I was moving out of England to Ireland I asked for completion to occur three months later. It so happened that this suited everyone concerned and it wasn't a problem at all. So go on...ask! Otherwise you still have the renting option.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that if you were to move into rented for six months (that's the minimum you can rent for as you probably know already) then you're putting yourself into a very strong position...certainly much stronger than you're in now.  Don't be afraid, it'll work out wonderfully if you go with the flow!
    You CAN rent for less than six months - we have done so while we were waiting for our house to complete - but you can expect to pay a premium rent as the landlord is getting all the moving in/out hassle for just a short period of income. We paid about 15% over the odds for a short-term let.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure