Universal Credit

Options
Background

My aunt is 47 years old. Single parent (widowed) with 3 kids, 2 boys (17 years / 13 years old) and 1 girl (also 17 years old). She is receiving Universal Credit with extra allowance as a full time carer (up to 35 hours) for my 84 years old grandma. Grandma lives on the same street as my aunt (also privately renting).

Unfortunately as grandma gets older, my aunt is struggling to provide the round the clock care she needs while living separately. It would be ideal if they moved into a single house. Grandma is receiving basic state pension and attendance allowance.

Questions

What impact will that have on benefits my aunt receives for herself? Is it possible for them to jointly claim rent or reduction in council tax etc. Can my aunt continue to be the carer for my grandma while living together?

What's the requirements, in terms of minimum number of bedrooms required (if any) .. for 5 people living under the same roof.

Do they need to have minimum 4 beds or is 3 beds sufficient? As my aunt and her daughter can share a room, one room for 2 boys and the other for Grandma. The reason for asking is it is very difficult to find 4 beds property for renting (also rent will be very high)

If you need anymore details, please ask and I'll try my best to find out. I've never been through the welfare system myself so I'm not sure where to look or how to research options for her.

Many Thanks

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your Aunt is probably best to book an appointment with a Citizens Advice benefits advisor to run through all of the information. Perhaps there are benefits that are not being claimed that could be.

Your Aunt will need to look to the future as well, as the 2 17 year olds could be considered non dependents within 2 years. It is probably a good idea to not upgrade to a more expensive 4 bed, as at some point your Aunt is not going to be in a position to pay for it.

I think if your Aunt has the benefits review and you provide as much information that you can find out in advance for her, then that would be the best way forward. It can take sometime to get a Citizens Advice appointment, so I would suggest that this is booked as soon as possible.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • mishbah
    mishbah Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Good point about the twins becoming non-dependent in the next few years. They are going college this September and will be in full time education for the next 5 years or so.
  • bigbill
    bigbill Posts: 928 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Make sure any new property goes into the Grannys sole name, there will be no non-dep deductions due to her AA.

She can have up to 5 bedrooms check how much will be allowed here

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/Secure/Search.aspx

if she gets Pension Credit the full amount would be due for the 5 bedroom rate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure