Depositing cash with no local branch

Options
mizfiesta
mizfiesta Posts: 480 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
edited 2 December 2017 at 11:59AM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Hi all, I recently switched banks for the first time in my life. I went with M&S as their gift card offer was tempting.
Apart from the fact that i find their internet banking website not that great it's all been fine. Up till today that is. I have some cash that I need to deposit and don't have a local M&S bank branch. I called them up and they said I had to go to my nearest HSBC branch with was slightly closer but still 10 miles away!
I don't have another bank account to use so not sure what to do. I used to be able to deposit cash at my local Post Office when my local Clydesdale branch closed but the lady on the phone at M&S said I couldn't do this! Jeezo. How do you all get round this (if you've ever encountered it that is)?
"...and in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make".

Comments

• Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It won't help you now but many people do not switch their 'main' bank a/c but a donor one to get the incentive.

Perhaps you could open an account with a bank that does (still!) have a branch near you, or one that uses the PO system as well. I assume it wouldn't take too long to open a new one. Once you have another account you can easily move money from one bank to another.

Sorry, can't think of another solution except of course use cash instead of plastic until cash has gone!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £88.25 spent!!!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mizfiesta wrote: »
    Hi all, I recently switched banks for the first time in my life. I went with M&S as their gift card offer was tempting.
    Apart from the fact that i find their internet banking website not that great it's all been fine. Up till today that is. I have some cash that I need to deposit and don't have a local M&S bank branch. I called them up and they said I had to go to my nearest HSBC branch with was slightly closer but still 10 miles away!
    I don't have another bank account to use so not sure what to do. I used to be able to deposit cash at my local Post Office when my local Clydesdale branch closed but the lady on the phone at M&S said I couldn't do this! Jeezo. How do you all get round this (if you've ever encountered it that is)?
    Easy to say with hindsight of course but I think it's fair to say that most people would research the features of an account before switching!

It's usually a good idea to have more than one current account anyway, in case one becomes unavailable for any reason (either specific to you or a bank-wide technical issue), so why not open one with a branch close to you or accessible via Post Offices?
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's a good idea to have more than one bank account, so that you have a way of accessing funds if one of them has a problem (which seems to happen from time to time, and can last for a few days). So why not open an account at a bank close to you? If you set up internet banking on both you can transfer money between them from the comfort of your home.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,151 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You'll just have to spend the cash.:D
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • mizfiesta
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    You'll just have to spend the cash.:D

Haha don't temp me! ;)
  • mizfiesta
    Options
    I was thinking about opening a Post Office Instant Saver account. At least I have a local Post Office to visit with cash. And all I would need to do then is transfer online from PO account to current account. Long way for a short cut but it's an option I guess.
  • mizfiesta
    Options
    Can anyone tell me which banks allow you to deposit cash into your current account via a Post Office counter?

Finding it difficult to deposit cash into M & S current account and I don't live near a branch :-(
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They're listed at https://www.postoffice.co.uk/branch-banking-services (under the 'withdraw and deposits' tab), but best to check with the product info on any bank's own website before committing....
  • henm2
    henm2 Posts: 721 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Deposits for M & S accounts are done over HSBC branch counters. It would appear that you can not do it via the Post Office.
  • jimroy
    jimroy Posts: 151 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I know it's not related to paying cash in or withdrawing cash on your M&S debit card at the Post Office, but I thought you may be interested to know for future reference that you can pay cheques into your M&S account at the Post Office.
    I pay cheques into my FD account at the Post Office and the envelopes issued by them for paying in there are for HSBC, M&S and First Direct customers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure