We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Options

Comments

• edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,975 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 16 May 2019 at 6:36PM
    Options
    Ha, I'm a waffler too Edwink and love reading your waffle! :j

So all cheerful, just busy :)

Aww glad you like my waffle Cheery, thank you how sweet and I like yours too. Not many wafflers on here at the moment as its been so quiet lately. Mind you threads do that from time to time and then they get back up to speed when someone has something to post about. So I don't mind if it's quiet I'll just waffle on to myself. (is there such a word as wafflers I wonder?)

Wow you have been busy with all your travelling about where do you get all your energy from?. I am glad you are still Cheerful and your girls have found the treats in the pocket. Typical for hens to do that I know for sure because I would sit down with a pocket full and as soon as one of the hens noticed them they would almost attack me for them. Trying to get more treats out of your pocket is a nightmare with a couple of hens heads poking about in there so you can't get your hand out.

So Glad you chose in the end to get hens Cheery. You picked up the hen keep malarkey so quickly you really are a natural with them. (((HUGS)))

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • edwink
    Options
    The new fencing is starting on Monday....YAY!!

We are relieved as is will mean more security for Pingu and Hoppy. Security is good anyway and the fences here are in good condition already but one long section on the boundary between our neighbours is trellis fencing. They put it up before we moved in because apparently there was a long hedge there originally and the previous owners of our property wouldn't pay to have the hedge taken down and a fence put in it's place. So to get round it the neighbours offered to pay for it all but in return they could choose the type of fencing, which they did. That fence is trellis style and although in good/fair condition and 70% covered in shrubs it is still see through in places. We have always wanted to change it and have taken the opportunity to approach our neighbours as they are moving and asked if we could change it, which they agreed we could, then they changed their mind and then agreed again. When we moved in apparently it had been in place only 2 years so knew that the neighbour would never agree to us changing it after all the money they had spent on it.

Although the trellis fencing is on our boundary line we just felt it was so much more polite to approach them as they had paid for it originally but as they were moving we would have just changed I anyway but wanted so much to avoid any grief with them. Our girls safety is paramount to us and I've waited 10 years for the chance to change it. Luckily it is not the main fencing where all my girls and boys spent most of their time and where the pond plus all the fruit trees and bushes are but further away in the next section where I grow our veg and have greenhouses etc. They often spent time up there but they preferred their main area unless I was up there pottering with the veg etc which was daily.

Also new greenhouse bases are being started on Monday too. So it looks like it's all systems go here now, finally :)

The fox has damaged and loosened 2 large sections of the main fencing by constantly leaping over so those sections are having new posts put in. Hubby has secured them from both sides but there is only so much we can do and need the experts to do the rest. That section is being done first thankfully.

First quote we got was £6.7K and these guys are charging just under £3K. What a difference in price eh?. We have seen evidence of their work as they put up new fencing for a neighbour so we went round to have a look at it when it was finished and they had done a good tidy job for a fair price. But, they are popular so we have had a bit of a wait to have it done, plus our neighbours changed their minds and said no we couldn't do it and then yes we could again. What a journey to get this far. To be honest we can't wait for Monday to arrive in case neighbours change their mind again. Fingers crossed everybody please :D

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,742 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Excellent news edwink! :j :j :j

Not much to report here. I had sandals on for the first time yesterday, and have painted my nails, so the ladies had a field day following and pecking my toes as I went back and forth pegging the washing out :eek: Beaky especially was most intrigued with my fingernails, and takes every opportunity to peck them :eek:

Can't say I'm impressed :rotfl: :rotfl: (also can't believe I've not had painted fingernails since we got them in September :rotfl: )
  • edwink
    edited 17 May 2019 at 10:00PM
    Options
    Excellent news edwink! :j :j :j
    Not much to report here. I had sandals on for the first time yesterday, and have painted my nails, so the ladies had a field day following and pecking my toes as I went back and forth pegging the washing out :eek: Beaky especially was most intrigued with my fingernails, and takes every opportunity to peck them :eek:
    Can't say I'm impressed :rotfl: :rotfl: (also can't believe I've not had painted fingernails since we got them in September :rotfl: )

Thanks Cheery yes it is excellent news about the fencing. Think I will sleep better when it is all done and we have added the extra netting above. It's so time consuming getting the netting up as not worth doing half a job so we are pulling it as tight as possible from fence post to fence post. If we do that we will be able to see clearly if anything has tried to jump through it or budge it in any way plus see clearly any rips or tears in it or any fox fur.

Ok so now to your finger & toe nails. Are they red? or any colour close to red? Because they will try to peck them if they are and it will hurt your toes if they do, not to mention your finger nails but especially your toes. They will peck anything that is red Cheery or anything close to that colour. That's why if one of them has a sore that is red or shows any blood the others will peck at it and not leave it alone and make it even worse. So the anti septic I mentioned that is purple needs to be dabbed on any sores they have so the others won't peck it. Or if they are moulting and have spent time in the sun and their skin look a little red you can dab some on that too to stop the pecking. Imagine getting a bit of sunburn and then them pecking it, OUCH!! Plus it is great at healing any sores they have. If you cut yourself whilst outside don't let the hens see it otherwise they will peck at any sore you have too. You will need to put a plaster on it until the redness has got down as I have learnt over the years. I once had a graze on my hand many years ago and learnt my lesson then. I was offering them some treats and one of them pecked the graze even though it wasn't too red and was healing nicely. But, blimey did it hurt OMG it was so painful. God only knows what it is like when they peck each other at times. Painful or what.

You will need to wear pink nail polish in future Cheery and definitely no red :( Sorry about that :)

Edwink
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Sadly my nails are dark blue edwink - the little feathery menaces were just trying their luck in case my toes were a new type of treat :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • edwink
    edited 18 May 2019 at 2:32AM
    Options
    Sadly my nails are dark blue edwink - the little feathery menaces were just trying their luck in case my toes were a new type of treat :rotfl: :rotfl:

Wow that does surprise me that they are pecking at them if they are dark blue. Normally they peck at red or gold. They used to go for my wedding ring quite often.

What am I doing up at this unearthly hour again? Not sleeping too well as constantly listening out for the fox with back windows of the house open. Hubby last went up there at just after midnight. The fox can't get in to the coop as the wire is cemented in to the ground but knowing this still doesn't help me sleep at the moment. Will be much happier with new fences up and the netting all done. Probably be all done within 2 weeks if we get moving once the fencing guys have finished. At the moment I'm just getting frustrated with the blooming pest leaping over 6ft fences with shrubs and trees each side higher than the fences. He has made 2 large holes in a row of Laurel now and even that has a fence behind it.

Edwink
  • edwink
    edited 21 May 2019 at 12:29AM
    Options
    First lot of new fencing was put up today :j I feel relieved already and they have only just started on it. Looks nice and sturdy which is obviously what we need and wanted. The height will take a bit of getting used to but we don't mind as it's security for Pingu and Hoppy. Our ground is lower than where this fencing is actually sitting so it is actually around 7ft high as we look at it but 6ft6 from the other side, if that makes sense. So glad the guys are here working on it now as we will worry less hopefully. I've had so many sleepless nights waiting for this to be done.

Edwink :dance:
  • Cheery_Daff
    Options
    Excellent news edwink! :j :j such a relief for you (and Pingu and Hoppy of course!)

May ladies had to suffer the indignity of being left shut in their run yesterday morning for half an hour while I was in the garden. They complained rather a lot as they could see me but couldn't get to me :rotfl:

I had to do a bit of scything, and having stood in the garden with a scythe in their presence I know that they will follow it (as they do with any garden tool) and with a scythe that will both significantly impede my progress and be a VERY significant health hazard for them :eek: :eek:

I did try explaining that it was for their own good, and that if I thought they could behave then I would let them out... But they weren't listening :rotfl:

Quite a bit more scything to be done but it's best early in the morning anyway when the grass is damp, and it's much easier to just leave them in the run til I'm done than it is to try to put them back in once they've been let out :rotfl:

Pesky creatures :rotfl:
  • edwink
    edited 21 May 2019 at 9:11AM
    Options
    May ladies had to suffer the indignity of being left shut in their run yesterday morning for half an hour while I was in the garden. They complained rather a lot as they could see me but couldn't get to me :rotfl:

I did try explaining that it was for their own good, and that if I thought they could behave then I would let them out... But they weren't listening :rotfl:

Quite a bit more scything to be done but it's best early in the morning anyway when the grass is damp, and it's much easier to just leave them in the run til I'm done than it is to try to put them back in once they've been let out :rotfl:

Pesky creatures :rotfl:

Ha Ha Ha
    You love them Cheery :D I always have a giggle when you call them pesky creatures. I'm afraid that when I encouraged you to adopt some rescue feathered friends I clearly forgot to tell you how friendly they would actually be not to mention a complete and utter pain in the bottom and how pesky they would be when you are outdoors trying to get all and sundry done :rotfl:

They are super little funny things as you have now found out. Doesn't it make you feel wanted and very popular when they come chasing after you everywhere you go?. I know it hinders your progress but they are your little helpers Cheery because they weed for you, keep your grass down, provide you with lots of compost and they keep you fit running down your fields of an evening trying to find them at bedtime :rotfl:

Edwink
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    Ha Ha Ha
    You love them Cheery :D I always have a giggle when you call them pesky creatures. I'm afraid that when I encouraged you to adopt some rescue feathered friends I clearly forgot to tell you how friendly they would actually be not to mention a complete and utter pain in the bottom and how pesky they would be when you are outdoors trying to get all and sundry done :rotfl:

They are super little funny things as you have now found out. Doesn't it make you feel wanted and very popular when they come chasing after you everywhere you go?. I know it hinders your progress but they are your little helpers Cheery because they weed for you, keep your grass down, provide you with lots of compost and they keep you fit running down your fields of an evening trying to find them at bedtime :rotfl:

Edwink

....... not to mention critiquing your choice of toe-nail varnish! :rotfl:
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure