Where to store valuables outside the home?

Options
2»

Comments

• MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There was that place in Hatton Garden....
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    greyfox wrote: »
    An electronic safe somewhere in the house (or garage) would be a lot simpler & accessible 24/7.

Have a look at some of the youtube vids on opening these "safes" - Put me right off buying one. Went for a second hand Chubb with mechanical locks and some serious heavy duty fixings to bolt it to the floor.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • cashferret
    cashferret Posts: 239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks, everyone - I'm not in London so can't use those London-specific options.

The things I need to store aren't jewellery etc. but documents and data. I'm aware of cloud storage, of course, but have concerns over security/hacking etc.

I'd like to be able to keep back-up copies outside my home but would need easy access so that I could keep storing updated copies.

I live in a city but don't have a car and have mobility problems so I'm really looking for somewhere that would be on a High Street rather than on some industrial park that I couldn't get to (so not large storage units).

I live in a flat and don't have a garage or car that I could store things in (my main concern is fire).

This Metrosafe article suggests that HSBC no longer offer safety deposit boxes:

http://www.metrosafe.co.uk/editorials/news-releases/date/2015/12/09/what-replaces-hsbc-and-barclays-after-uk-exit-from-safe-deposit-boxes/

Interesting idea about asking the local police!

And good advice about giving access details to a trusted person.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,765 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    cashferret wrote: »
    The things I need to store are[...] documents and data. I'm aware of cloud storage, of course, but have concerns over security/hacking etc.

Cloud storage should not be relied on for the long term. Anything based on computers have a finite life and eventually get replaced with the next best thing.

If it is just documents & data of little monetary value (to someone else), how about a data safe located in a shed at the bottom of the garden ?
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    If your main concern is fire ......

https://www.safe.co.uk/Categories/fireproof-safes/1.html

.....or similar
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    portable hard drive which is encrypted located at another house? Friends, relative's?

I scan all my documents in that I get through the post, or wage slips and stuff which is stored on my home server. I then back this server up to another machine at my parents. Works quite well, but this isn't the most straight forward thing unless you know what you are doing... however a couple of portable hard drives in rotation would work just as well for stuff that does not change all too often.
  • Lummoxley
    Lummoxley Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've seen Storemates mentioned on here, would that be an option?

https://storemates.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport