PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss, VJsmum and good to see you back. That's really made me laugh, I knew you'd had a flood but didn't realise how it had been caused, must have missed that story! Good thing he'd left before you found out.

I've just spent a happy hour in the garden reclaiming it from the jungle ... for various reasons not much gardening happened last year and while I managed to keep the bits nearest the house looking semi-ok, the far end went wild. I'm not joking; I think I've recovered a strip about four feet deep along one fence, suffice to say the bramble and other stuff is going to fill my bin, and there's a lot more to go. I rediscovered a compost bin that I'd forgotten was there :o There's more to do but I'm pacing myself, an hour a day and I'll get there eventually without getting worn out and fed up.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) Be afraid, be very afraid, I am back at Shoebox Towers after 26 hrs with the 'rents....

Mum was also discussing selling the various large pieces of woodworking equipment in her workshop shed (main thing, the lathe) and the allied hand-tools such as chisels etc etc. She can no longer do this hobby and no one else has the interest or aptitude. One or two hurdles need to be overcome first (workshop shed is currently off its sockets' electrical supply) and will need a tidy up before strangers can be invited in.

kittie, I don't know if your expertise would extend in this direction, but is there anywhere better than the 'bay for selling lightly-used woodturning tools?

Righty, time for a browlette around the interwebulator. GQ xx

Kittie did you spot this from grey queen?

Daisy xx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh sorry, no I didn`t. The best place and probably what the parents would want is via a local wood carving group of enthusiasts. Tools like that are meant to be used and appreciated. GQ you will find a group if you google. A group like that would be welcoming newcomers without tools and there are always people on hand teaching how to sharpen etc

I saw a wool moth :eek: in my bedroom, they are shiny, like sardines. Only one and never seen one here previously. I do have deterrents in various places but I have an awful lot of wool, including very expensive wool curtains downstairs, fibre, bedding,welsh blankets clothes I had a new pack of 4 sachets so dealt with the moth, then opened the new sachets and scattered them but I am going to go through and make sure that winter stuff is vac packed. Will have to get suitable vac bags and more sachets
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have had to bite the bullet and s*d the savings, just measured up storage spaces under beds and in two cupboards. My cloth, wool and silk stashes are too valuable to be eaten. I will probably never see another clothes moth here but these things can and do happen. Oh well multi -purpose anyway and good for when I move as some homes are infested. Good old lakeland to the rescue and several very neat, cleverly designed, vac storage bags are ordered. Cue for me to re-arrange storage anyway ie christmas things underbed to the outbuilding, underbed will be for for vac storage. Also zip bags for all those drawer stored rolled wool jumpers, hats, scarves and shawls. Those neat MK rows are going to go :( No joke as my fabric stash including silk, molten wools are at least 3 x my height

I shall be philosophical ie a stitch in time, compression takes less space, will look neater and be ready to pack up
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    having a break from cleaning floors, the bottoming type of clean, moving stuff and washing. A large messy plant is out to be composted, had no-where to put it, except on the dining table and it has gone very blousy, now unattractive. Will be out later as I want to chop it up, for the worms. I also have a back thing with all sorts of bumps and curves on it, the sort of thing you use for a knot but ball and the wall will do. I only used it very few times in 3 years and it is too big to hide

shredder will be arriving later and I already have stuff to shred, takes some doing, feeding these worms in the hotbin. I will be taking them up a feast tomorrow morning
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    PollyWollyDoodle Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Kittie, I had moths last year and they ruined a wool carpet, although it was very old. My mistake was not moving the furniture often enough to vacuum underneath it, they lay eggs in the dark apparently. Make sure you vacuum very thoroughly under the beds etc and keep repeating to get rid of them.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    They are boogers polly, I am very much on the alert. I remember them from my childhood. Will move the beds as soon as the vac bags arrive, might as well have one almighty mess in one go. Thanks for reminding me about beds. The carpet is sisal, susceptible to moths and luckily my main vac cleaner upstairs is a powerful sebo. Next house I am only going to have hard floors

Just a bit more kondo this afternoon, emptied 5 bottles of liquor down the sink. Had them a long time and 3 were almost full but it was easy to do

Oh yes, the fellowes shredder is fantastic value for money, solid as a rock and easily ate thin cardboard. I am keeping it out, handy, almost did a container full just from small catalogues and letters arriving today and yesterday

I have just been reading about carpet beetles and they are worse than moths and eat all natural textiles. Looks as though I will be having a thorough vacuum this evening, just in case
    https://www.safeguardpestcontrol.co.uk/carpet-beetle-season-need-pest-control/
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DD2 asked if I had any dresses for her in the attic, so I happily complied. I first found trousers, then shirts, then skirts and dresses. 3 Boxes in the attic emptied, 1 box filled, and dd was very cheerfully trying on all the clothes and had tremendous fun.

The box that was filled was the too-small or too-dark clothes, ready for donation.
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 May 2018 at 7:03PM
    Options
    Ahhh siebrie, nice :D

I almost made an expensive mistake, like many, I have gone into sandals and like some, I have very wide feet, bunions and arthritic toes including a hammer toe. Naturally any shoe fitting is difficult and I have been happily wearing easy b for years. In the sale last year I stocked up on sandals and got rid of 3 pairs of old fashioned velcro sandals.

Oh yes, ok, the first new pair only needed to be broken in, a stretch on the stretcher and I persisted since then but now the 4th toe on my left foot is killing me and the corn I always have under the toe tip is throbbing. That is when I decided that I could not cope with this pair of `pretty` sandals. I went into my neatly arranged sandals looking for a velcro pair, all gone. Another pair was always comfy, easy b again, the same looking insole and then I read on another new pair, still had the label on, the insole is removable. Ahh, lightbulb, maybe the insole was never positioned properly. Velcro in 2 places and the side on the left was up too high, constantly putting pressure on my poorly toe. I took it out and re-positioned it so that the left side is down and soft under my toe

Fingers crossed and just saying in case anyone else has a similar problem
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,987 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie there was something on the BBC website, I think today, that there's been a huge increase in clothes moths according to a study National Trust have undertaken.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport