HELP! Blackmail

Options
Long story short I broke up with my ex and he didn't take it well. hes now threatening to report me for identity theft/fraud over catalogues for about £300 which HE applied for!!! I let him use my address because he was always here, but now we have split up he is saying he is going to say it was me who set up the accounts in his name. I don't know why he is being so cruel. He knows that i lost my husband and my kids would have nobody if i went to prison. The items were delivered here, and I think maybe a couple to his house (can't remember). What can I do? I feel blackmailed. I'm scared of going to prison and he knows it.

To make it worse, I also let his brother stay with me for a while, and I had him running up debts in a random name too, I had about £600 of stuff come here, I work a lot so I'm not home much so I didn't catch him until one day I took a parcel and gave it back to the courier when I noticed a strange name on it!! I threatened to report him and threw him out, I think this is why my ex is being so cruel (we split up because I threw his brother out) If I go to the police he'll just turn around and say it was all me. Worse, he said all this in front of my son whos 9 and now my sons terrified mummys going to prison right before xmas!!!!!

no way have i got 900 to pay the debt and its not mine!!! i dont know what to do. my son has been throguh enough.

Comments

• cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    You say the accounts are in his name, if so it is legally his debt and not yours.

Ignore his threats, you will not be arrested and you will not go to prison.

If a debt collection agency did attend your property (highly unlikely) in the future they would be looking for him and not you. Try not to worry, he is using your fear as a weapon to hurt you.

Keep all evidence around this matter, text messages etc. in case it escalates. If you are ever in fear for your safety ring the police.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would recommend you follow cjv's advice. It is all good advice, and there is no danger of you being arrested or going to prision.

To reassure your son, you could show him these replies. Try to show that you are not frightened by his threats and that you recognise them for what they are: threats from a bully.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure