Thundershirt for dogs scared of fireworks

Options

Comments

• lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Me too, Mupette.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There are some things you can do to help your dog. Make a secure, dark place for your dog to shelter , such as a crate with a blanket over it , a space under a desk or table with a blanket draped over it. Somewhere he can hide when he feels scared.

If you know there will be fireworks turn up the volume of some loud music. Classic music seems to work better for some reason. Close curtains early to prevent seeing fireworks and to help muffle the sound.

Some people on another forum have had good success with Melatonin. You need to buy it online. If you want details of supplier and dosage join 'Dogpages' and ask there.

I have read of people driving to a service station in the middle of nowhere and parking there for the evening to avoid their dogs getting upset.
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    As my dog is petrified of fireworks (but unaffected by gunshots!), and also has an allergy from time to time, I'm going to give her Piriton (recommended by VET) in the evening instead of the morning, which should make her tired and less highly strung.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 October 2016 at 4:06PM
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Almost all cases of animals being scared of fireworks are human derived. I've taken dogs (temporarily) away from people who proclaim they are terrified of fireworks only to find they don't even bat an eye lid when away from owners.

If you're scared of fireworks yourself then you will be teaching your dog that they're something to be fearful of. And he/she may even bark protectively, sensing you're concerned.

Dogs take their lead from their owners. If you're not worried then neither will they be.

Sorry, I disagree entirely.
    I'm certainly not scared of bangs but one of my dogs is. Given the chance she takes herself off to my bed.

In the past I tried using the CD of sounds and noises but both dogs (different ones) knew the difference between the recodings and the real thing.

What about trying an Adaptil spray or diffuser? The spray used to be a lot cheaper, you spray the bedding.

One of the suggestions made at dog club was to feed a carbohydrate rich meal during the firework season as it makes the dogs more likely to sleep. A really good run or more exercise than usual during the day will make also them tired.

I generally make sure curtains are drawn and radio is louder than usual.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you have a very good quality sound system the sound of the CD is not nearly the same as the real thing.
  • trixie73
    trixie73 Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mini Schnauzer was petrified of the fireworks last year. I'm dreading them starting this year :(. Yet my two bunnies are not fazed by them at all, they happily sit munching the grass while there going off.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Almost all cases of animals being scared of fireworks are human derived. I've taken dogs (temporarily) away from people who proclaim they are terrified of fireworks only to find they don't even bat an eye lid when away from owners.

If you're scared of fireworks yourself then you will be teaching your dog that they're something to be fearful of. And he/she may even bark protectively, sensing you're concerned.

Acting out of character and making a fuss (by wrapping dogs up in stupid shirts) only compounds the problem.

Dogs take their lead from their owners. If you're not worried then neither will they be.

I couldn't agree more.

My mum's dog is apparently petrified of fireworks and thunderstorms, shakes like a leaf, runs upstairs and hides under the duvet, that's when he's home with her. Here he doesn't bat an eyelid. There were fireworks going off last night for diwali, he didn't even notice.

My own cats and dog couldn't give a hoot. Although I do try to make sure the cats are in, I don't want them to get harmed by a falling firework.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2016 at 3:10PM
    Options
    I couldn't agree more.

My mum's dog is apparently petrified of fireworks and thunderstorms, shakes like a leaf, runs upstairs and hides under the duvet, that's when he's home with her. Here he doesn't bat an eyelid. There were fireworks going off last night for diwali, he didn't even notice.

My own cats and dog couldn't give a hoot. Although I do try to make sure the cats are in, I don't want them to get harmed by a falling firework.

Ahhh someone on my own wavelength. Of all the animals I've owned over the years, not one has ever batted an eyelid at fireworks. Even a stray I took in one year on 4th November accompanied me to a private firework display the following evening (I didn't want to leave her home alone) and was absolutely fine. Initially I stayed in the pub with her to gauge her reaction and as she was so calm and relaxed, I took her outside to where the bonfire & firework display was.

I didn't know anything about her history or why she turned up on my doorstep, bedraggled and lonely the day before, but she obviously took her cue from me and enjoyed the evening.

And another reason I believe in this theory...my mother was terrified of thunder and fireworks. If our dogs were in her care during a storm or fireworks going off then the dogs became distressed. However, remove mother from the situation and they were absolutely fine. Didn't bat an eyelid.

I understand the above is just an isolated incident but I've worked with animals for many years and have often come across with owners and their pets.
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ahhh someone on my own wavelength. Of all the animals I've owned over the years, not one has ever batted an eyelid at fireworks. Even a stray I took in one year on 4th November accompanied me to a private firework display the following evening (I didn't want to leave her home alone) and was absolutely fine. Initially I stayed in the pub with her to gauge her reaction and as she was so calm and relaxed, I took her outside to where the bonfire & firework display was.

I didn't know anything about her history or why she turned up on my doorstep, bedraggled and lonely the day before, but she obviously took her cue from me and enjoyed the evening.

And another reason I believe in this theory...my mother was terrified of thunder and fireworks. If our dogs were in her care during a storm or fireworks going off then the dogs became distressed. However, remove mother from the situation and they were absolutely fine. Didn't bat an eyelid.

I understand the above is just an isolated incident but I've worked with animals for many years and have often come across with owners and their pets.

At one time I would have agreed with you. I am not scared of fireworks or storms and none of my previous dogs (over 10 in total) or cats (over 15 in total) have been. However my present cat is absolutely terrified. She was scared last night and was desperately trying to find somewhere to hide. Tonight when they started again she messed on the floor.

My dog is not happy when they start either. He either runs into his crate or comes and tries to squeeze on my lap (he is a big dog). He won't go out in the garden or for a walk when they are going on
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • prosaver
    prosaver Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everytime a firework went off i gave it a treat ..now he cant wait for bonfire night.
    “Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family