Does a balance transfer cancel the old card?

Options
So I was looking at getting a balance transfer card and transferring the balance on my Amex to it.

I don't NEED it, I can pay my Amex off fine, but being able to delay this for about 12 months would be very beneficial. Paying it off before the 0% period won't be an issue.

What I'm concerned about though, if I do a balance transfer to clear my Amex, will that then cancel/close my Amex? Or will it stay open just with a 0 balance?

Thanks!

Comments

• Willing2Learn
    Willing2Learn Posts: 6,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum GoldenOne :)

If you want to do a balance transfer from an AMEX to another card issuer, there is a chance the BT may fail. This is because Amex uses a 15-digit long number and not the usual 16-digit. Ring the issuer with whom you want to do the BT to first, so that you can confirm whether their system are able to process a BT from a 15-digit Amex card.

As for your question. The Amex card would remain open after a successful BT.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Amex card will just see a payment of your balance, they won't even know you did a BT unless they really looked into it, they won't close it, no.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No it won’t close the account.

What card is it - you cannot BT from a charge card.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure