2»

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    In hand? Isn’t it arrears?

So for example, I worked all of June but didn’t get paid until the end of July.

Yup, that's a month in hand. I've worked in companies who used a week in hand or two weeks in hand but never a month. At least when you finish with this company you will still have a decent pay to leave with.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a job once where I was paid monthly on the last working day but if you had done any overtime or were off sick in the last week of the month, then those adjustments wouldn't happen until the following month pay. It was all very complicated.
    Possibly for you, but if payroll have an agreed system it's the only sane way to deal with occasional adjustments. You have a cut off point: anything you know about BEFORE that date is dealt with that month, anything which happens or may happen AFTER that date has to wait.

Mind you, I prefer our system. Some of our staff are 'on call' and get a payment for that. A few others do paid overtime. Since I can never know for sure until the end of the month who has actually done what, it makes perfect sense to make those payments at the end of the month AFTER the one in which the work was done. And I sort it all out in the following month, rather than having to track what adjustments were dealt with in-month.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Possibly for you, but if payroll have an agreed system it's the only sane way to deal with occasional adjustments. You have a cut off point: anything you know about BEFORE that date is dealt with that month, anything which happens or may happen AFTER that date has to wait.

Hence why having a week lying on system is better. Like my previous job was paid 4-weekly with a week lying on so all adjustments were correct at time of pay.

The employer that paid me last working day of month with messy adjustment system is now bust. Maybe it was because of their payroll, who knows. :)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    MarkN88 wrote: »
    In hand? Isn’t it arrears?

So for example, I worked all of June but didn’t get paid until the end of July.

Arrears is used to describe getting paid after you have worked it typically for monthly this is around the end of the month(so a bit may be in advance of working) or a bit after.

Once the gap between the end of the work period and the pay day become a full period it becomes "in hand"

Used to be a lot more common on weekly where you work a week but get paid the end of the following week
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure