Dancing in the Rain

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    Options
    I’m on my little break. I packed all food for my travels yesterday and apart from a coffee, some water and some crisps I avoided temptation and spent £3.65 in total.

I will still be frugal but allow treats as long as I am keeping to my budget.

I want to relax as apart from a week in Scotland this will be my only other holiday this year (probably).

That said, I saw some ankle boots today reduced from £85 to £36. They are gorgeous, but only just fit (although I tried them on with socks and I would wear with tights) Boots loosen up don't they?? Also a skirt in a shocking pink reduced from £55 to £18 and would work well with said boots and brown tights. :D I walked away to think about them overnight. I wouldn’t have done that before this debt free journey.

I did buy a face cream made by an independent that I can only buy here for £7

Food shopping and other necessaries too… nice Japanese tea…It all adds up…Now I have the basics I’m going to start YS hunting to keep the food bills low

Instead of a coffee out, I made myself come home for a cup of the nice tea instead of buying one out.

Tomorrow’s treat will be a beach walk and a coffee in a beach cafe overlooking the sea

I hope you have all had a lovely Sunday.
    DIA x
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 September 2016 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Thanks Jumblerina and MT for the encouragement on the house. I know once I get going I'll be fine. Whilst I am on a break I am going to identify what jobs to do first. I want to redecorate a bedroom but I know there is brickwork that needs doing that will protect the house from damp. I also need to do the handbasin bathroom sink pipe and fit a fan extractor. As I write I think, just start there. Just do it.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Have a wonderful break in Cornwall DIA :) well done on resisting the boots, the struggle is real when it comes to comfy boots! Enjoy your coffee by the beach, you throughly deserve it.

Jumblerina
  • Orange_Ena
    Orange_Ena Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you're having a lovely time away. That beach walk and coffee overlooking the sea sounds truly idyllic. Soak it up. I always feel better by the sea, just a shame I live right in the middle of the country :D

Thanks for name check the other day. Getting my house sorted has been a long time coming. For years I just did nothing, really didn't look after it and hoarded loads of crap. I tried to sell it about 5 years ago but I only had 2 viewings which was no wonder as it was mostly a state! I decided to improve so I remortgaged to get a new kitchen, a wall moved and a total makeover to the downstairs. It looked amazing, still does really, but that just highlighted how shabby upstairs was and so for the last year or so, I've been getting bits done. Thanks to MSE, YNAB and a bit of money from my dad, I am getting there. And I do feel so much better for it. It was getting me down, living in a pigsty, surrounded by crap, half decorated walls, shabby carpet, too embarrassed to invite anyone round. It looked like I didn't care about anything and to be honest I probably didnt. I'm not really house proud or anything, but I want it to look nice and cosy for me. And maybe a bit beautiful too :)

So yes, just do it! Start with all the yucky, boring basic jobs then the beautification can start. And maybe the shopping for new bits. I love that ;)

There's a plaque on a wall in Weston Super Mare which reads;

"Look out to sea. She said: It’s like freedom, really, isn’t it. Because there’s nothing stopping you?’"

Have a great time at the seaside :D
    Debt Apr 15 - £6895.44 :( Apr 17 - £2500 :) Dec 17 - £560 :) July 18 - £199 :D
    CHEFS challenge (Cruise Holiday Entirely Funded by Surveys) - £685.79
    Every penny is a prisoner :D
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Such a great post Orange Ena and very inspiring. Thank you. :A It’s the sort of post that that will motivate others as it has motivated me. I never imagined you were in a similar position and look at you now! I will work towards being where you are in the next few years…

Feeling slightly embarrassed now Jumblerina as I bought the boots and the skirt. :o Together they would have cost £140 and I got them for £50.65p I am happy with that and I love both items. :D The boots are very soft leather and comfy if I wear them with tights not socks…

I bought 2 cards for my card box. I bought some food, but except for £1 on root veggies and some Greek yoghurt, all items were reduced!

I am having a NSD tomorrow. It’s funny but spending money every day feels scary and unnatural now.

Plucked my eyebrows myself :money:

A sunny walk. A coffee. A request to a baker to make some of the cherry polenta cake I like and had last time I was in town. He will! :D

WFH tomorrow but I will walk before work (to the beach with a flask) and at lunchtime (a parcel to send…cost already paid for) :)

Hoping you have had a sunny (literally or metaphorically) day. I have
    DIA x

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Definitely motivating others Orange Ena :D

I must go and properly check out your diary as I have lurked occasionally after spotting you here and ought to say hello. That is a lovely post, totally identify with it.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    I'm glad you bought the skirt and boots DIA. Things you love are always worth it, and even better if you can get them for less money.

Have you tried Pinterest for house ideas? It's a great way of browing and being inspired and being able to put it all in one place to pootle through when you like.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • Tinkerbelle2000
    Options
    Beach walk and beach cafe sounds ideal. Hope you are having a lovely time. You deserve it.

Tink xx
    As of 31st December 2018 Total Debt = £15837.59
    DEBT 1 - £41.10 DEBT 2 - £257.41 DEBT 3 - £584.12 DEBT 4 - £700.00
    DEBT 5 - £655.02 DEBT 6 - £669.18 DEBT 7 - £3448.00 DEBT 8 - £2169.12
    DEBT 9 - £2964.25 DEBT 10 - £4349.39
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Thanks Rosa and Tink

When it comes to imagining the rooms in my house I have no problems Rosa. My problems are getting the many jobs that need doing before the fun stuff can start. My attention to detail is insane.:o I even have a mini Fortnum and Mason’s hamper for the spare room filled with mini samples for my guests. The fact that the room needs decorating and a new window don’t seem to interfere with my elaborate planning :rotfl:

I am not regretting my boots or skirt yet. I've been invited out to lunch on Friday so I shall give the skirt an airing :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    WFH but I went to the farmers market at lunchtime. Wonderful beetroot, black kale and a cauliflower cut this morning, so crispy! So not a NSD as this market comes every Tuesday and it would be rude to ignore it.:rotfl:

I’m going to make quinoa, beetroot, and chickpea burgers today and eat with sweet potato chips, peas and lime yoghurt (yum) :)

I keep passing and resisting wonderful cakes. I think I’ll bake one myself tomorrow as I have eggs, sugar and almonds. Thinking of a flourless chocolate cake (double yum) :)

Funny, but the people here are so polished I have been wearing (basic) make-up every time I go out. Using eyeliner with a 1950s flick today :)

Washing done and out on the line

Washing-up done X1
    washed my hair
    Trip to the Post Office

Somehow even the drudgery feels not so bad with the sea nearby

I hope your day is going well reader

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills