Moving money from santander 123

Options
Currently have 30k+ in my current santander 123 (i know i only get interest on 20k) would it be daft to transfer all my money over to NS&I premium bonds after this months last 3% interest payment.... thanks.

Comments

• pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not just transfer 10k+?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gam2015 wrote: »
    Currently have 30k+ in my current santander 123 (i know i only get interest on 20k) would it be daft to transfer all my money over to NS&I premium bonds
    That would depend on your objective wouldn't it? What is your objective? It was interest before (well kind of, because you were wasting £10K potential interest earning funds)...is it still? If so, and you can beat 1.5% AER elsewhere it would be daft to shift it all into PBs, yes.
    after this months last 3% interest payment.... thanks.
    Unless your statement date is the 1st November, the final interest payment will be somewhere between 1.5% and 3% AER.
  • Gam2015
    Gam2015 Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My statement date is 19th so i should get my last £50 next week... cheers
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am currently thinking of transferring cash into PB's, but I will be leaving 20k in my 123 account - the PB's only work out at just above 1.1% I believe, so why transfer from the 123 - unless you fancy your luck I suppose??
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    I think the unspoken issue is that we can't all pull money out of any institution in a way that may destabilize the banking system. If our high street banks are to cut rates at the behest of the Governor of the bank of England then clearly the team at the bank of England have some idea as to where they expect people to move their funds to try and save money in a more productive way.
    J_B.
  • redmalc
    redmalc Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I cannot find a better account for my 20 k at the moment,please advise if you have
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    pip895 wrote: »
    I am currently thinking of transferring cash into PB's, but I will be leaving 20k in my 123 account - the PB's only work out at just above 1.1% I believe, so why transfer from the 123 - unless you fancy your luck I suppose??
    The whole premise of PBs is based on luck but it's difficult to have a one-size-fits-all answer to whether they're a good idea or not.

The theoretical return on a large holding over a long time is 1.25% but most will receive less than that as the figure is skewed by the small number of large prizes, so the median average is probably closer to the figure you quote.

However, much also depends on tax status and interest earnings, as the PB's tax-free payout makes it more appealing to higher rate taxpayers and especially those who exceed their personal savings allowance. People like this would be (on average) earning an effective gross rate of nearly 2% from PBs, which would be more tempting than 1.5% in a 123, but for those with all savings interest within the PSA then 1.1% in PBs is clearly less appealing than a 1.5% account.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    Joe_Bloggs wrote: »
    If our high street banks are to cut rates at the behest of the Governor of the bank of England
    The bank of England does not tell the banks they must cut rates offered to savers. The banks choose to, or not to, based on their business models, in response to market conditions. You can see that when the base rate dropped to 0.5% in 2009, Libor did not drop to that level for quite some time and consumer savings rates did not get there for five years.
    then clearly the team at the bank of England have some idea as to where they expect people to move their funds to try and save money in a more productive way.
    They would like you to invest it, or spend it. At a personal level, a large element of savings are for 'a rainy day'. It is the same at the macro-economic level. When the economy is having, or predicted to have, a rainy day, central banks will use monetary policy to encourage people to cease saving so much and instead use the funds in a way that will help the economy.
  • Joe_Bloggs
    Joe_Bloggs Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    Bowlhead, I thank you for your reply. You can't deny that Libor was rigged to suit the bankers. The concept of it just invited manipulation.

I maintain that central bank policies dictate the path of commercial if failing banks. These banks seem to end up paying billions in fines each year and offsetting billions more for future misconducts. This is a business model with a criminal/law breaking aspect to it.

Are you saying that banks can't be trusted to invest depositors money better than depositors can do on their own elsewhere. Where do the central banks want people to put their money if not in a bank?

J_B.
  • Nationwide8
    Options
    At the moment I have £20,000 in Santander.When the interest rate goes to 1.5% have worked out will get about 1.3% when add in the cash back covering about half the fee.

For me I am going to put some ( not sure how muich yet ) in PBs,just one £25 win a month is the same as the interest from Santander on £20,000 and of course there is a chance I could win more.....or less,that's the "risk"

It's a fine line,if I could find somewhere paying more than 1.3% or Sant cut interest or increase fee again I'd be out of Santander ( have filled other accounts paying more Tesco,etc )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure