Paintball guns in hold luggage

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always thought that the firing bolt had to go in a locked box with the captain.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 July 2018 at 2:24PM
    Options
    I always thought that the firing bolt had to go in a locked box with the captain.

Not all firearms have a bolt. Packing instructions from BMI...
    The firearm should be unloaded (free of ammunition)

The firearm must be packed in a hard shell with a label attached

Ammunition must be packed separately in a box made of wood, metal or fibreboard and secured against movement

No more than 5kgs of ammunition allowed
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Not all firearms have a bolt.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the chances of a civilian owning a semi or fully automatic rifle in the UK are now next to zero.

The latter are illegal in the US (in theory) so whatever the rules there are must be non applicable ?
    Packing instructions from BMI..
    That applies to UK domestic flights only.
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless I'm mistaken, the chances of a civilian owning a semi or fully automatic rifle in the UK are now next to zero.

You are mistaken you can legally hold a .22 rimfire semiauto rifle in the uk

The latter are illegal in the US (in theory) so whatever the rules there are must be non applicable ?

Ive always found this odd that americans are so anti messing with the constitution, regarding their right to bear arms, yet they accept that the law makers then dictate what kind of guns they can bear.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • phatbear
    phatbear Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I suspect the rules for moving weapons with rifled barrels will be much stricter, if permitted at all.

Not stricter at all as long as the right licences are in place they would be treated exactly the same at point of import/export.

Bottom line is you need to check with your airline.

For example, i no longer work at an airport that uses ryanair (yet) but back in the day they would not carry guns at all yet easyjet would.

Despite all this a paint ball gun is not a firearm anyway but ive seen handling ages take very odd things out of peoples bags before now regardless of legislation.
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 14 July 2018 at 7:19PM
    Options

You are very much mistaken. Semi auto .22 rimfire rifles are perfectly legal in the UK. Firearms laws vary from state to state in the US and full auto firearms are legal in some states.

You could fire one yourself...

https://machinegunexperience.com

Shotguns don't have bolts either.
    That applies to UK domestic flights only.

So? It was a valid example of one airline's requirements to illustrate that bolts do not necessarily have to be removed. If I had spent more than 30 seconds Googling, I dare say I could have come up with a transatlantic carriers requirements... as could you.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You are very much mistaken. Semi auto .22 rimfire rifles are perfectly legal in the UK.

I wasn't aware of that - thought only bolt action rifles (any calibre) were now legal.

It's 20 + years since I attended a Firearms Act (1980) lecture and briefing, many changes since.

That apart, licence applicants presumably have to go through several hoops, more stringent than for a shotgun which is relatively straightforward ?

As for the US - there is a vast plethora of legislation there, state and federal, and I'm not sure if many have a grasp of anything other than local laws.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    I imagine you are correct about the UK firearms cert requirements. I don't have one myself so can't comment. A shotgun certificate is straightforward and won't raise an eyebrow at a country police station.

Incidentally, there are some firearms that are legal in the UK but banned in parts of the US. 50 calibre rifles, for example. Silencers are also banned in many places in the US but using them is regarded as good manners in the UK.

.22 semi auto rifles are very popular for pest control.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    A shotgun certificate is straightforward and won't raise an eyebrow at a country police station.

Not so in Central Scotland Police area - the fallout from the tragic events caused by Thomas Hamilton.
  • Gloomendoom
    edited 15 July 2018 at 12:08AM
    Options
    Not so in Central Scotland Police area - the fallout from the tragic events caused by Thomas Hamilton.

Could be. Must admit I was speaking from my own experience at a local English police station.

Having said that, my wife's cousin had his certificate taken off him after somebody posted a YouTube video showing him behaving inappropriately with a shotgun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure