pipe leaking under floor causing white mold

Options
hi as the title stated.. i've got some white mold growing under the floorboards in the hallway. i'm pretty sure this is due to one of the pipes leaking as my boiler pressure always drops. already had the boilder checked along with the radiators.

i can see the previous owner of the flat got some work on the floorboards in the hallway. they cut into a section by the radiator. i reckon that's where the leak is. as it's the only part i'm able to remove when i saw the white mold under the floor.

now my hallway is about 16feet by 3.7feet (5.62 m2) and i need get someone to come remove the broken floorboards, remove the mold, and find the leak... i've got no experience in this area so would appreciate some advice.

not sure if i should ring a plumper or a builder... or even how much it would cost.

fyi i live in southeast london (se13).

many thanks

Comments

• plumberpaig
    plumberpaig Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll probably get something that looks like green mold, not sure about the white mold.

If you're continually topping up your boiler then you've definitely got a leak. The size of the leak can only be determined by how often you're topping the boiler up?

Most likely a small part of the pipework will need renewing. A friendly local plumber is what you need. Do a search for plumber se13 and go to the maps section and find someone who's well rated and looks small and friendly. No need to pay a call out charge as there's absolutely looaaaaaads of companies that don't charge a call out fee.

Prepare to pay £80 - £140.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,548 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    White mold sounds like dry rot and not unexpected in the circumstances you describe.

It needs removing properly as it can be devastating to timber in buildings.

Plenty of advice and photos online.
  • Begsey
    Begsey Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    This is on electrical connections, but at my work, we get verdigris (greeny blue on the surface). This builds up to a white powdery coating.
    We normally clean and tighten connections to get rid/stop it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mt808 wrote: »
    hi as the title stated.. i've got some white mold growing under the floorboards in the hallway. i'm pretty sure this is due to one of the pipes leaking as my boiler pressure always drops. already had the boilder checked along with the radiators.

i can see the previous owner of the flat got some work on the floorboards in the hallway. they cut into a section by the radiator. i reckon that's where the leak is. as it's the only part i'm able to remove when i saw the white mold under the floor.

now my hallway is about 16feet by 3.7feet (5.62 m2) and i need get someone to come remove the broken floorboards, remove the mold, and find the leak... i've got no experience in this area so would appreciate some advice.

not sure if i should ring a plumper or a builder... or even how much it would cost.

fyi i live in southeast london (se13).

many thanks

If you have a water leak, call a plumber. If you remove the source of moisture, the mould will die.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure