Charge on property

Options
Hi

First time posting on this forum. Hopefully will get some good advice.

Basically am in the middle of remortgaging my late parents property. There’s a few charges on the property but there is one that I have had no luck in getting in contact with.

This charge is with open + direct finance Ltd which is now out of business. After doing a bit of research on goggle it comes up with creation financial service limited is now what it’s trading under.

I have been in touch with creation so many times for them to tell me they ain’t got a clue as there is nothing on my late parents name or address coming up on their system.

I’ve been passed around to so many other companies and still no luck.

This has been going on since June it’s now November and My remortgage offer is soon going to expire. And I don’t no where else to go.

Anyone got any ideas

Thank you

HelpM3

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 November 2019 at 10:11AM
    Options
    Is the remortgage with solicitors? Often they'll know from past experience what's happened with defunct lenders. Never heard of them myself.

ETA: Actually I see from Companies House that Open and Direct Retail Services Limited simply changed its name to Creation Consumer Finance Limited - it's the same company, and it's still active. So if the charge wasn't assigned to anybody else, it's them who should be discharging it. I would just push them to remove it if they can't find an account which requires them to maintain the charge. Ultimately you can go to court if necessary.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Who dealt with the executorship of your late parents estate?
  • HelpM3
    HelpM3 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi I did it myself with the probate.
  • HelpM3
    Options
    Hi

I’ve got a conveyance dealing with it. But they are very unhelpful and I’ve ended up doing all the running round. Trying to get it sorted before expiry date.

Everyone I’ve spoke to at creation no clue. I’ve sent a letter to the complaint department suggested by the financial Ombudsman .
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    HelpM3 wrote: »
    Hi I did it myself with the probate.

Did you place an advert in the London Gazette?
  • HelpM3
    Options
    Sorry I don’t get you. The house was left for me and is paid off for.
  • davidmcn
    Options
    I think the question is how have you worked out that there is no money due under the charge from your parents' estate(s)?
  • HelpM3
    Options
    Hi the conveyance company have come back and said that there is a few charges on the property that needs sorting out before we can move forward.

Now we had account details and paperwork for the other charges except for this one from Open + direct .
  • davidmcn
    Options
    I'll try again - how do you know you can remortgage it if you don't yet know the size of any debts due by your parents' estate?
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    HelpM3 wrote: »
    Sorry I don’t get you. The house was left for me and is paid off for.

In your role as executor of the Estate , as opposed to a beneficiary, it's your personal responsibility to ensure all debts owed by the Estate all settled. Placing a notice in the Gazette and waiting a suitable length of time fulfills this obligation.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/wills-and-probate/place-a-deceased-estates-notice#faq-1
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure