PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

3 months notice.

Options
Hi all. Just after a little advice.
I had a 2 year fixed term tenancy Agreement with my land lord. This agreement was the standard gov. Agreement.
It ran from Feb 2015 to Feb 2017.
At the end of the fixed term I have gone into a periodic tenancy. My landlord has not spoken to me other than to say we will just carry on. I have signed no other agreement.
During the fixed term I was able to leave if I gave 3 months notice.
It’s is my understanding that I am now a month to month periodic tenant. I have recently given my landlord a months notice leave in writing. . This was accepted verbally. I am out on March 13th. Yesterday my Landlord informed me that I should have given 3 months notice!! As per the original fixed term. Can any one advise. I am obviously concerned he will demand another 2 months rent from me in a property I’m not living in!

Comments

• juniordoc
    juniordoc Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    You need to give one full rental periods notice I think so depends how frequently you have been paying the rent.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67759913&postcount=4

See Section B, subsection 4.

"A tenant can end a monthly SPT by giving at least 1 months notice in writing ending on the last (or 1st day - Crate v Miller 1947) of a Tenancy Period sent to the address "for serving notices"".

As far as I know, this information is up to date but the CAB should be able to tell you for certain.
  • bonfire1966
    bonfire1966 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    juniordoc wrote: »
    You need to give one full rental periods notice I think so depends how frequently you have been paying the rent.

My rent is paid monthly.
    What you are saying is what I undrstood.
  • bonfire1966
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67759913&postcount=4

See Section B, subsection 4.

"A tenant can end a monthly SPT by giving at least 1 months notice in writing ending on the last (or 1st day - Crate v Miller 1947) of a Tenancy Period sent to the address "for serving notices"".

As far as I know, this information is up to date but the CAB should be able to tell you for certain.

Thanks. This is what I thought. I will try try the cab just in case.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The above posts are just one of the potential cases. For the actual notice period, you need to read your original fixed term agreement.

Option 1: If it states anything about what happens AFTER the fixed term, then you are on a Contractual Periodic Tenancy (CPT) and the terms including notice period follow that.

Option 2: If it is silent on what happens after the fixed term, then you are on a Statutory Periodic Tenancy (SPT) and you have to give 1 full tenancy period notice (ie 1 month in line with tenancy roll dates).
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I'm pretty sure G_M's guide covers that, saajan_12, but thank you for the clarification.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm pretty sure G_M's guide covers that, saajan_12, but thank you for the clarification.

My point is its not only subsection 4 that's relevant, you're assuming OP is on a SPT which is misleading. It could be a CPT in which case the advice is different.
  • bonfire1966
    Options
    Hi thanks for your replies. I’ve checked the the contract and it states that after the fix term it goes to a statutory periodic tenancy running month to month.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    In which case it is 1 rental period (typically a month)
  • Smodlet
    Options
    Think you have your answer, bonfire, plus links to prove it. Go sort your LL! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure