Called in in snow now injured

Options

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    injury was done on the way when she was requested to come in.

https://www.nelsonslaw.co.uk/uk-weather-law-say-employee-rights-ice-snow/

considering the employer over staffed her service house, cancelled wifes days off, and failed to ask the driver that drives the 4x4 to collect her, I would say was undue pressure. There plenty of sites out there where it states an employee could sue in this event.

Your link says,

"Is my employer liable if I slip on snow or ice at work?
    Employers are required to maintain safe working conditions for employees so they may be liable if there is an accident at work which could have been avoided."
    Nothing about injuring yourself on the way to work.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    considering the employer over staffed her service house, cancelled wifes days off, and failed to ask the driver that drives the 4x4 to collect her, I would say was undue pressure.
    Yes, but ...

I can understand an employer attempting to overstaff in a situation where staff are needed 24/7, rather than be left short, given that, for example, your wife or another colleague might have got 100 yards down the road and turned back after realising it was actually not possible to walk in.

Also while work may not have asked the 4x4 driver to collect her, your wife equally did not ask for that, nor ask for transport to be sorted for the end of her shift.

Pressure CAN be resisted.

I'm not clear when she sustained the injury, and that might also be relevant.
    There plenty of sites out there where it states an employee could sue in this event.
    Possibly, but how long has she been in this job, and how badly does she want to keep it if the answer is under two years? Also, and sorry to bang on about this, but is she in a union, and what do they say?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    iThere plenty of sites out there where it states an employee could sue in this event.

And are these sites for lawyers who would make money out of taking such action?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,834 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    There plenty of sites out there where it states an employee could sue in this event.

Well, any one can sue pretty much any one for any reason.

What you need to look at is whether they are likely to win.
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To be honest, I was more on about driving and the road system girding to a halt.

There is a whole generation of drivers out there who have very rarely, if ever, experienced conditions such as these and won't have a clue how to handle them and even some of the "older" drivers can't cope because it's such a rare occurrence......

may one ask where on earth you live?
    Here in the sheltered Thames Valley I walk and drive on a few inches of snow about every 5 years on average over the last 5 decades.

Maybe you mean there's a whole generation out there who don't have an ounce of common sense.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    Here in the sheltered Thames Valley I walk and drive on a few inches of snow about every 5 years on average over the last 5 decades.

Maybe you mean there's a whole generation out there who don't have an ounce of common sense.
    I have quite a few colleagues with plenty of common sense, but they don't have enough experience of driving on snow to give them any confidence to do so. It just doesn't happen that often, and usually when it does there is still public transport.

Maybe I should suggest a skid pan as our next team building exercise?

But more seriously, what we've had this year in this area is unusual: we've lived her for nearly 20 years and I've never known it bring the buses and the trains completely to a halt for so long. We have some open areas within the city, and on the (main) roads across them we had drifts over a foot deep. I've tried walking through it, and it's been darned hard work. Even though I could see that the roads outside my house were passable after the first day, I left them to those who needed to use them.

I did get some experience of driving on snow, in a Ford Anglia which tells you how long ago it was, but I don't recall it being as bad as it's been here this year. And we've not had the worst of it.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

West Midlands.

Apart from this winter I can't really think of anything in the last 10-15 years where, locally, we have had snowfall significant enough to cause disruption.

Even going by your experience, if someone has been driving for 15 years that only gives then 3 instances of having to cope with these sort of conditions and as a lot of people just won't try then they have even less experience.

A bit different from the countries originally mentioned where they have prolonged snowy periods every year.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,648 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »

I did get some experience of driving on snow, in a Ford Anglia which tells you how long ago it was,

Is your surname Weasley?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Have you read the House Buying, Renting and Selling Thread? I think there are at least two such generations otherwise how did some of the present 20-somethings come to be so lacking in initiative? Surely their parents must be equally so?

I know this does not apply to everyone of either generation; there are also plenty of posts from FTBs with as much or more nous as those of any previous generation but it seems increasingly to be the case that the blame someone else/sue culture is becoming the norm.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Options
    Is your surname Weasley?
    :rotfl: No, if it was then it wouldn't be a problem, I'd just fly over the snow, wouldn't I?

I had forgotten that a whole new generation had now been introduced to the Ford Anglia. It is a very long time since I saw one on the road.

Actually, the thing I learned in my Anglia, is that if you're following someone in a Mini, you can't take the corners at the same speed as the mini. That's a good lesson to learn in your early days of driving. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport