Where am I going wrong?

Options

Comments

• demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    Sometimes you need to get out there into the workplace and take an interest on what's going on around you to progress. I've worked through the ranks at my current workplace by taking an interest and making suggestions for improvement to my boss. Colleagues that haven't shown an interest are still in the exact same role 5 years later with no signs of promotion on the horizon. In my work place, you have to be already taking on extra responsibilities to be able to go for promotion, i.e. working above your pay grade.

As someone else pointed out, you should be taking the opportunity to learn new skills to take them on to develop your CV. Have you ever expressed an interest to your manager(s) that you want to develop beyond a basic admin role?

I agree, I'd love to do that but I don't want to progress here because it's not what I'd want to do long-term and only took this job through necessity, I'm thinking more about my next role. Unfortunately I couldn't develop any skills here that I don't have already/that would be transferable as it's all basic admin.
  • Nothanks
    Nothanks Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I kind of fell into the financial sector because I needed work and suddenly 10 years later I look at a very respectable career path. Your skillset sounds ideal for any risk-focussed role, such as audit, anti-fraud, portfolio management...etc

Manchester is decent for finance because a lot of big firms are moving out of London due to cost.

I'd recommend looking at some of the large banks' own recruitment websites.
    Union official.
    CiPD qualified.

Anything I post is solely MY OPINION. It never constitutes legal, financial or collective bargaining advice. I may tell you based on information given how I might approach an employment dispute case, but you should always seek advice from your own Union representative. If you don't have one, get one!
  • CrabbitDutchie
    Options
    Statistical programmer/ SAS programmer roles in the pharmaceutical industry might also suit your skillset.It's more about having an analytical mindset than any prior programming experience. I'd certainly never programmed anything before I fell into my previous job.
    Save 12K in 2018 #20 - £20,890/£18,000 (116%) November £1950
    Save 12K in 2017 #46 - £13,184/£12,000 (109.87%):D
    Save 12K in 2016 #184 - £4,608/£4500 (102.4%) :D
  • demiruss
    Options
    Nothanks wrote: »
    I kind of fell into the financial sector because I needed work and suddenly 10 years later I look at a very respectable career path. Your skillset sounds ideal for any risk-focussed role, such as audit, anti-fraud, portfolio management...etc

Manchester is decent for finance because a lot of big firms are moving out of London due to cost.

I'd recommend looking at some of the large banks' own recruitment websites.
    Statistical programmer/ SAS programmer roles in the pharmaceutical industry might also suit your skillset.It's more about having an analytical mindset than any prior programming experience. I'd certainly never programmed anything before I fell into my previous job.

Thanks, both! :beer: The job hunt is on again this weekend! At least I've finally learnt what I don't want to do long-term i.e. admin/managing people :p My contract will be knocked down again this month so I'll be on under £800 p/m.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do you live near a university - if so maybe look at their job vacancies. They do a lot of stats type stuff for government returns and planning purposes and might be interested in your sort of background particularly with some admin experience. Lots of people in university admin tend to be overqualified as we work in the sector because we like the university environment.
  • MrNiceGuy_007
    Options
    demiruss wrote: »
    Psychology and the masters is in a more maths/big data course.

Maths and big data, no employment opportunities? Really...

Excellent math skills and big data are some of the most sought-after talents on the market!

As a contractor, I certainly have no problem finding work and have found that certifications hold more weight than my degree.

Is it the lack of experience?

Quant finance is a good move, how are your coding skills? :)
    :eek:
  • demiruss
    edited 8 January 2018 at 5:15PM
    Options
    Maths and big data, no employment opportunities? Really...

Excellent math skills and big data are some of the most sought-after talents on the market!

As a contractor, I certainly have no problem finding work and have found that certifications hold more weight than my degree.

Is it the lack of experience?

Quant finance is a good move, how are your coding skills? :)

Thanks :) Well my degrees aren't "hard science"/IT based so it's been difficult :( I wish I would've done a maths degree or something, I feel like my options are severely limited now. I've undertaken an ECG study and enjoy being in labs so I'm looking in to research assistant posts. Have you got your certifications through work/privately?

Yes, it's definitely lack of experience because of location = limited opps compared to London, but I also cannot afford to volunteer or do unpaid internships. I would have to do further training to be proficient at coding but have noted the most desirable and am looking into brushing up on/learning those.
  • demiruss
    Options
    Mrs_Soup wrote: »
    Do you live near a university - if so maybe look at their job vacancies. They do a lot of stats type stuff for government returns and planning purposes and might be interested in your sort of background particularly with some admin experience. Lots of people in university admin tend to be overqualified as we work in the sector because we like the university environment.

Thanks, I live near lots :) I do apply for the admin roles but always get rejected, someone else has "more experience", although a lot of the admin ladies at my last uni got it through word of mouth with little previous office experience. I would love to do some stats stuff, I'm still applying to unis here and there but I don't hold my breath with them :o
  • StaffieTerrier
    Options
    demiruss wrote: »
    Thanks :) Well my degrees aren't "hard science"/IT based so it's been difficult :( I wish I would've done a maths degree or something, I feel like my options are severely limited now. I've undertaken an ECG study and enjoy being in labs so I'm looking in to research assistant posts. Have you got your certifications through work/privately?

What experience/qualifications do you have to work in a lab? If you don't have any experience you need to try and get some, perhaps unpaid work experience. I work in medical research and research assistant posts can be very competitive, you'll often get people with PhDs in a relevant field applying. If you're interested in lab work you might be better looking at technical posts, such technical assistants, but even those are highly competitive.
  • demiruss
    Options
    What experience/qualifications do you have to work in a lab? If you don't have any experience you need to try and get some, perhaps unpaid work experience. I work in medical research and research assistant posts can be very competitive, you'll often get people with PhDs in a relevant field applying. If you're interested in lab work you might be better looking at technical posts, such technical assistants, but even those are highly competitive.

I know, that's what's put me off thus far. Maybe I worded that poorly (doesn't help as all these roles are called different things). I'm not talking long term research posts just those offered to graduates that are short term positions for projects :) For my dissertation the paid research assistants were looking to me to organise/guide. I can't afford to work for free :p I would love to be in that position.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure