Where am I going wrong?

Options
124»

Comments

• StaffieTerrier
    Options
    demiruss wrote: »
    I know, that's what's put me off thus far. Maybe I worded that poorly (doesn't help as all these roles are called different things). I'm not talking long term research posts just those offered to graduates that are short term positions for projects :) For my dissertation the paid research assistants were looking to me to organise/guide. I can't afford to work for free :p I would love to be in that position.

Even those types of roles will need experience. Most research science jobs are on short term contracts so there's always high volumes of people to apply for them. How long since you graduated? Science changes rapidly. The experimental work in our lab is completely different from 5-10 years ago and whole new fields of computing have developed to analyse the data we're producing.

As far as work experience goes, even a week can help and give you contacts. The hardest part of getting a job in science is getting a foot in the door. I've worked in science in HE for over 20 years, both teaching and research and it's harder now than ever to get a foot in the door. I only got my first science job because I'd done lots of work experience and gave myself a head start above other graduates.

I'm not trying to put a downer on what you want to do but you are going to have to think of a way to stand out and give someone a reason to give you a chance. Good luck. I hope it works out for you :)
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 January 2018 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Apologies if what I write below is a load of rubbish ! I don't really understand the precise line of work you are interested in but these suggestions might help you find what you want, or at least help you accumulate experience of various types.

What about one of the mammoth accounting/consultancy companies such as KPMG, PWC ? Or Capita ?

I don't know if the Met Police are still recruiting for senior civilian analysts ? Or the Civil Service ? Worth checking out.

Major banks such as HSBC have robust graduate schemes, even if you don't see finance as your long term career the training and opportunity to develop workplace & personal skills and behaviours would be invaluable. I believe such schemes have tough application and interview stages, which in themselves would give you experience, insight and confidence. I'm guessing that if you don't succeed in gaining an offer, they would give you detailed and targeted feedback.

Are there any professional bodies for the career(s) you are interested in, with which employers would advertise jobs ? Have you registered with LinkedIn ?
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:39PM
    Options
    Even those types of roles will need experience. Most research science jobs are on short term contracts so there's always high volumes of people to apply for them. How long since you graduated? Science changes rapidly. The experimental work in our lab is completely different from 5-10 years ago and whole new fields of computing have developed to analyse the data we're producing.

As far as work experience goes, even a week can help and give you contacts. The hardest part of getting a job in science is getting a foot in the door. I've worked in science in HE for over 20 years, both teaching and research and it's harder now than ever to get a foot in the door. I only got my first science job because I'd done lots of work experience and gave myself a head start above other graduates.

I'm not trying to put a downer on what you want to do but you are going to have to think of a way to stand out and give someone a reason to give you a chance. Good luck. I hope it works out for you :)

Thanks, StaffieTerrier :) I know what you're saying. I do have experience - graduated in 2017. The lab assistants then had all recently finished their undergrad degrees and others had got a short stint in other unis with limited experience and went back as they were pursing PhDs or teaching. I'm under no illusion that the jobs I'd be going for would be 'dogsbody' but it would be paid work in a field I'm interested in instead of deadend jobs/unpaid work :o People on my course got on PhDs without any experience and barely passing the course, I guess it varies?
    ERICS_MUM wrote: »
    Apologies if what I write below is a load of rubbish ! I don't really understand the precise line of work you are interested in but these suggestions might help you find what you want, or at least help you accumulate experience of various types.

What about one of the mammoth accounting/consultancy companies such as KPMG, PWC ? Or Capita ?

I don't know if the Met Police are still recruiting for senior civilian analysts ? Or the Civil Service ? Worth checking out.

Major banks such as HSBC have robust graduate schemes, even if you don't see finance as your long term career the training and opportunity to develop workplace & personal skills and behaviours would be invaluable. I believe such schemes have tough application and interview stages, which in themselves would give you experience, insight and confidence. I'm guessing that if you don't succeed in gaining an offer, they would give you detailed and targeted feedback.

Are there any professional bodies for the career(s) you are interested in, with which employers would advertise jobs ? Have you registered with LinkedIn ?

Thank you, Erics Mum. I don't think I understand myself :p I'm definitely going to look at more graduate schemes, I had an interview for one and they seemed to like the "smarmier" characters as opposed to your knowledge/skills so it put me off, but that was the vibe of the company so on reflection I can see why. I am on LinkedIn but not very active, I think I made one whilst studying. I need to give myself a kick up the bum, it's just hard when you're working (and jaded :rotfl:).

Big thanks again to everyone who replied.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure