Phone ringing fault - possible BT £130 charge

Options
My phone will not ring properly when connected to the normal socket. When I plug it into the test socket it rings perfectly.

So I assume that the fault must be in the Openreach master socket and I reported this to BT via their chatline. The BT guy suggests that the problem could be "my wiring" and that they would charge £130 if this is the case.

Surely the problem must be within the master socket and hence it must be BT's responsibility to fix it ?

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If the phone works fine in the hidden test socket (when you take the bottom part of the master socket off) but not when the bottom part is connected then the problem is on your side.

What taking the bottom of the master socket off does is disconnect the extensions that are wired into the back of the socket. If your phone didn't work connected to the test socket then it's a BT issue. The socket is designed this way for this reason.

If the master socket / cable to the master socket was at fault the phone wouldn't ring at all, nor would you get a dial tone.
  • Parkhall
    Parkhall Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Neil. So is it possible that I have a fault on an extension line ?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    yes, if you look on the back of the plug in facia that goes into the test socket your extension wiring is there , there should be wires on connectors number 2 and 5 (3 used to be used for the "bell" wire but no longer needed

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,302 Forumite
    Options
    see here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaKTUF4UoEI

you don't need the special tool , a small flathead screwdriver will push the wires in
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Parkhall
    Parkhall Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Neil & Browntoa - very useful to understand this.

I disconnected an old trailing extension lead which was connected to an extension socket in a back bedroom and the phone seems to be ringing fine now. I'm guessing a bit of corrosion at the socket/plug caused the problem.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    you don't need the special tool , a small flathead screwdriver will push the wires in
    Sorry but have got to disagree with that, a screwdriver can and often does splay the connectors apart and can cause further problems, just buy a cheap IDC connection tool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IDC-PUSH-DOWN-INSERTION-TOOL-RJ45-NETWORK-AND-BT-TELEPHONE-CABLE-SOCKETS-KRONE-/231871541214?epid=1088865332&hash=item35fc9eefde:g:5KIAAOSwh-1W3-xz
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If there is an unsolvable without engineer problem, it's probably cheaper to buy a set of connected cordless phones, so no extension is required.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remember that cordless phones do not work in a power cut.
  • decbel
    decbel Posts: 2,804 Forumite
    Options
    Parkhall wrote: »
    My phone will not ring properly when connected to the normal socket. When I plug it into the test socket it rings perfectly.

So I assume that the fault must be in the Openreach master socket and I reported this to BT via their chatline. The BT guy suggests that the problem could be "my wiring" and that they would charge £130 if this is the case.

Surely the problem must be within the master socket and hence it must be BT's responsibility to fix it ?

The problem lies in an extension/s.

They start at £130.............£
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family