New Halifax Overdraft Charges

Options

Comments

• amanita
    amanita Posts: 75 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    wizzywig27 wrote: »
    I'm afraid that my current employment means I am unable to seek additional employment due to my contractual terms so unfortunately that is a no go.

What on earth do you do?? How can your employer claim rights to your spare time?

If you're on zero hours, exclusivity clauses are illegal and you can ignore them.
    ... Also regarding tax on a second job, wouldn't this push me into a higher rate of tax? Although I'm no expert regarding this.

No. You cannot lose money with a pay rise. Income tax only applies to the money *inside* the tax bracket.
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're good at putting obstacles in the way of potential solutions.

Yeah, so it seems.
  • wizzywig27
    Options
    amanita wrote: »
    What on earth do you do?? How can your employer claim rights to your spare time?

If you're on zero hours, exclusivity clauses are illegal and you can ignore them.

No. You cannot lose money with a pay rise. Income tax only applies to the money *inside* the tax bracket.

I don't want to say on a public forum, it's not the MI5 or anything though lol. They do not claim rights to my spare time but there are conflicts of interest etc.

Regarding tax, I am not referring to a pay rise I am referring to a second job which as I understand it means I could pay up to 40% tax on that earnings (if I am wrong I'm sure someone will tell me).
  • amanita
    Options
    I don't want to say on a public forum, it's not the MI5 or anything though lol. They do not claim rights to my spare time but there are conflicts of interest etc.

Regarding tax, I am not referring to a pay rise I am referring to a second job which as I understand it means I could pay up to 40% tax on that earnings (if I am wrong I'm sure someone will tell me).

Yes, you're wrong about that :)

Tax is calculated on your total income. If your total income is under the higher rate bracket, no higher rate tax. If it isn't, I have to question how a £2k overdraft is a challenge for you!

Is there a possible conflict of interest for shelf stacking or cleaning or even dog walking?? As a teacher, my contract tells me I just need to get approval for further employment "which would not be unreasonably withheld".
  • wizzywig27
    Options
    Anyway I think I'm done with this now, thank you to everyone who has provided input - I will take this further irrelevant of what people think about me putting obstacles in the way etc.

What Halifax are doing is unfair and shows a total lack of understanding of their customers needs and it worries me that banks are happy to send customers into debt.

I hope for everyone else who encounters similar you stumble across this thread and realise in life, for as many people that are here to help there are two that are ready with their inappropriate and unhelpful comments.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK it looks like increasing your income is going to be a (perceived) problem.

How are we doing on the money transfer card option? Any news from MBNA and/or Virgin? Were they declines or a 'we'll get back to you'?

What about the 12 month fee-free overdraft facility on Nationwide's FlexDirect account? Have they accepted you?
    There also has to be jobs available to apply for, and I have to be successful at interview etc. So, imo this is not a quick solution even if it was an option.
    Employment is at it's highest level for years isn't it? We're struggling to recruit for two positions at the moment, and are having to lift the salary range as a result. I've been made redundant twice in the last 14 years, both times on 3 month's notice contracts. Both times I've secured alternative employment almost immediately, and once negotiated an earlier exit. And the icing on the cake was a pay rise with each move. How much notice have Halifax given you?...yes, around 3 months! Where's your positivity?

Some questions for you...

What have you done since you first came on here complaining about the new charges? Have you done anything other than make a complaint to Halifax exec complaints? I'm guessing not, going by the very negative outlook you're displaying here...repeatedly.
  • wizzywig27
    edited 22 August 2017 at 9:31AM
    Options
    OK it looks like increasing your income is going to be a (perceived) problem.

How are we doing on the money transfer card option? Any news from MBNA and/or Virgin? Were they declines or a 'we'll get back to you'?

What about the 12 month fee-free overdraft facility on Nationwide's FlexDirect account? Have they accepted you?Employment is at it's highest level for years isn't it? We're struggling to recruit for two positions at the moment, and are having to lift the salary range as a result. I've been made redundant twice in the last 14 years, both times on 3 month's notice contracts. Both times I've secured alternative employment almost immediately, and once negotiated an earlier exit. And the icing on the cake was a pay rise with each move. How much notice have Halifax given you?...yes, around 3 months! Where's your positivity?

Some questions for you...

What have you done since you first came on here complaining about the new charges? Have you done anything other than make a complaint to Halifax exec complaints? I'm guessing not, going by the very negative outlook you're displaying here...repeatedly.

Ok I said I was done but appreciate you have tried to be helpful previously, so will answer these for you.

I have not done any hard searches at all, but I have done numerous soft searches through this site, both for loans and credit cards.

I have applied for a loan and overdraft with my other bank (HSBC). Both were a no.

I have applied for a loan with Halifax but they said they are unlikely to accept me.

I have spoken to the debt management team and Halifax

I have applied for a starling bank account - was given a £250 overdraft but not sure if I should lower Halifax by £250 and use this as it's a cheaper option but everyone says don't use debt to pay debt.

I have tried my third bank NatWest for an overdraft which was a no

I think that is it.

Earlier in the month I asked current employer for a wage rise, I was told no.

EDIT;

Just did a soft search for virgin and got

Based on your current circumstances, our Card Checker indicates you are not eligible for a Virgin Money Credit Card. Please remember that this result has been based on our own criteria, so does not necessarily question your suitability for this type of account with another company.

Don’t worry, this check won’t affect your credit rating.

And MBNA

Based on the details you’ve provided, and the results of our eligibility check, we can’t offer you a credit card at the moment.

Luckily these are all soft checks
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think these new charges are a good thing, people who accidentally go a little over will be less stung, and if Halifax make more profit their reward account is safer and they will return more to shareholders

If someone is over £700 overdrawn and is not able to switch, it's high time they get it under control
  • amanita
    Options
    Luckily these are all soft checks

I'm sure I've recommended M&S to you twice now- forget soft searches!

There's also Hitachi...

Keeping your credit report clean is all well and good, but if you need credit, you need to have a couple of searches.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 22 August 2017 at 9:53AM
    Options
    Firstly have you updated your address with Halifax?(due to issues posted elsewhere about not getting statements or letters) if so have you received the letter notifying of the changes? Many customers are and have accepted offers with the letters which gives you a period of time to repay the overdraft at a higher rate calculation. This would mean the charges wouldn't triple straight away and within the offer period you will be reducing the overdraft amount so the fee calculations will be on a lower figure when the offer expires.
    What Halifax are doing is unfair and shows a total lack of understanding of their customers needs and it worries me that banks are happy to send customers into debt.

Banks are not happy to send customers into debt customers have done this themselves by using the [banks] money, and therefore the banks are clawing back some of the risk they have with customers whom have high interest/value overdrafts whom are not repaying them or with a low repayment rate and they could end up in further problems.

The changes have been implemented so it forces customers/encourages those customers to repay the overdrafts that they probably wouldn't have done without the changes.

Debt has been created by the customer and not the banks, that said the charges will be higher then before and could/will push customers further into the overdraft but they will no longer be the £5 unauthorised fees for using an overdraft (which to be fair can and have cost over £100 for a small mistake/overdraft usage.)

I suggest as others have done to look for solutions to enable you to repay the overdraft off slowly, quicker then you have done, or find a loan/credit card that will cover or replace some of the amount, with a lower monthly repayment then the £90 odd you mention.

I think customers will get offers to help bridge the gap in the changes, to ease them in, which will help work out some breathing space, for the extra cost of fees being applied. Its also going to be easier to work out the charges as they come out each day rather then 30 days after the month has finished, which it does now.

Customers then forget about the fees and then they are pushed into an unauthorised overdraft/Exceed limit and are charge more money in fees. This I feel is incorrect as the bank is charging on charges, which just spirals.

Why the group has had to make this change due to regulations around unauthorised fees and excessive spirals for customers.

Its not what you want to hear, but it will be happening, you have had notice to make headway in what you want to do. There will be a team responsible for money management and those in financial difficulties but I believe the solution to this is to reduce the fees but the account can not be used, and this may not be an solution for some.

There is help out there from the banks, and some research done by customers, a middle ground will be met.

This issue has been caused due to customers spending banks money and then finding they cant afford to do so, when its recalled or changed.

You mention above about applying for loans/overdrafts on your other bank accounts, have you taken into consideration your credit cards held with HSBC, as this will add up, you have only just paid back Santander arrears, has this cleared and been updated on your credit report yet? This could be a reason why you are being declined.

Just a thought of course,

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing