Ditto everything SA said!

Lovely to have you and CD back Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back *Robin* and glad to hear the CD is still with us! (tail wags from the Terriers here :p)
    Must use my stash up!
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 12 December 2016 at 12:26AM
    Options
    Hello and thanks to everyone who has commented.. :)

CD would love to share wags and licks with all doggie friends, but she's curled up fast asleep after a hard day exploring every roadside-bar garden and green space we stopped at.. So I'll pass on best waggie-wishes and wuffs on her behalf. :)

Difficult run today; hit fog just North of Madrid. Persevered until a couple of hours after dark when visibility was down to less than fifty feet, but cars were still whizzing past us at 70mph! :eek:
    Followed a van delivering pianos - driving more sedately than most of the traffic - until he turned off, then gave up after passing a pile-up on the other carriageway. Now tucked into a corner of a lorry park. The bar serving drivers is about two truck-lengths away, but all we can see is a vague orange glow from it's windows.

Still, our goal is within a couple of hundred miles, so should manage that tomorrow. Fingers crossed the fog evaporates.

Am too tired from having to concentrate so hard; what the kids call 'wired'. Need to sleep but feel nervous and jerky. Dinner was good though; mushroom curry, a combined effort (I chopped veg, DS cooked - and washed up without prompting, bless him! Ha, you're right Sun.A - he is a treasure!).

About to lose power - leisure battery did need replacing as suspected, oh well that was something I didn't get around to - so better post this then turn off the light.

Grateful that we're still in one piece, snuggled-up dry and well fed, and it's noticeably warmer despite the dense fog.
    Goodnight all. :)
  • tunathe_cat
    Options
    hi safe journey on your route have missed your posts thank you for droppin in xx hugs
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Safe journey, I love reading about your adventures.
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    Robin lovely to hear about you and CD - sending lots of love.

Not so happy to hear news re black dog. Beastly. I do hope you have a safe last few miles back home. xx

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Robin, I hope that the last leg of your journey was easier. Sorry that the BD has been with you, I wish that it had another name my real life 4 legged black dog (labrador) was one of the happiest creatures I have met, so the name being given to those awful dark times feels odd with me. Still, to quote a lovely lady on these boards "it is what it is"

Tail wags and little licks to CD from Miss MM.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • *Robin*
    *Robin* Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Stoptober Survivor
    edited 16 December 2016 at 5:57AM
    Options
    Hello World, :hello:

Yesterday was a looong day..
    If Divo Four has a weakness, it must be his navigation skills. We were not two hundred miles from our destination as he'd told me, but over three hundred. Woke up to fog even thicker than the night before - as proven when CD jumped out of the van tied to her long lead for an early morning snuffle; she vanished into grey nothingness before the five metre cable had fully extended!
    We waited, had breakfast, and waited some more, listening to traffic whistling past on the invisible motorway. As time passed and the sun got stronger houses emerged from the gloom around us, then a hermitage appeared on a hill just beyond..
    Deciding that was a good omen we set off very cautiously; fog lamps blazing, wipers doing their best to remove all the moisture settling on van's windscreen as both DS and self peered in concentration, following the white lines marking the slow lane.
    Eventually a long hill took us above the murk into a magical world; bright sun and blue sky above, solid white mist swirling below in the valleys between arid peaks, reaching for the heavens. Eagles slowly circled, riding the thermals, searching for prey on the bare mountainsides. We were amazed at the detail we could see in the clear light:
    "Surely this must be Andalucia," Divo Four said, as he reached for his sketch-pad.
    Clever Dog started talking; complaining it was time for a comfort break, so we pulled off onto the forecourt of a mountain lodge. DS4 went in to sample the bar's coffee while I sat outside with CD, just relaxing and enjoying the warm sunshine.
    "Twenty three people died on the roads last night," Divo Four told me when he returned. "The good news - for us - is that we're out of that band of fog now, so should make better time."
    We did. All too soon a road junction appeared which I recognised, where we usually keep right. But this time Snoopy-the-satnav was insistent; go left!
    "Trust it," DS said. "It's given good advice so far.."
    We found ourselves whizzing along a brand new motorway, passing terrain I was pretty certain I'd never seen before.. Ten minutes later we were speeding through the suburbs of a city, at which point it occurred to me to ask Four exactly what destination he'd programmed into Snoopy?
    He told me. <sigh> ..Did I mention that navigation isn't one of DS4's talents? He'd just stuck an extra sixty miles onto our journey! We managed to find our way to the airport road, and then along the coast to our local sea-side town, where we stopped for a late lunch by the beach. After dipping our toes in the water we finally made our way up the familiar road to the pueblo, parking camper-van in the same spot next to the bus-stop where our journey North had begun last June.
    CD sniffed the air, then set off confidently across the orchard to the Old House - she didn't put a foot wrong on the winding footpath; ancient and blind she certainly is, but there's nothing wrong with her brain or her memory!

I stayed for a cuppa, but CD was hungry and I was reeling with exhaustion so we excused ourselves from the feast Divos Three and Four were preparing but which wouldn't have been ready to eat for hours. I'd thought about that moment when doing the final grocery shop before setting out, so knew there was a 'fifteen minute meal' waiting for me in camper-van's fridge. It was delicious; fish-cakes and salad. Half an hour later both CD and self were happily tucked up in bed; grateful for our luck in avoiding the many accidents on the foggy roads, grateful to have arrived and grateful not to have to do it all again today..
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad to read you made it back eventually despite detour! An exhausted but happy end to the day :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Brightspark87
    Options
    Glad you are there safely Robin xx

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts