Minicredit £100 loan now $1049

Options

Comments

• wardyb
    wardyb Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    I have still being receiving phone calls from Opos/Kapama and I started emailing them, they say they never received my letter dated (april/may 2016), so I sent them a copy via email. But they are not responding to my emails now.

Looking at my credit file, they are defaulting me every month and I wondered if it would be possible to go another route to get them to remove the debt from my file.

Thanks in advance
  • wardyb
    wardyb Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    have sent emails to their MD, office manager, sales manager and also sent a complaint to the FOS
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi wardyb

You stated in one of your earliest posts on this thread that you owed about £10K-£15K all in all and wanted to find ways of handling the debts collectively. So have you looked any further into this? It might be more productive for you than focusing on the Minicredit/OPOS debt specifically.

For example, if you decided to declare yourself insolvent, it would deal with this and any other debts definitively, regardless of any disputes over the amount of interest charged and the creditor's conduct.

They can't place a fresh default on your file every month as you can only be defaulted once for any given account.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • daem
    daem Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2016 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am in the same shoes,

- defaulted a £150 loan in 2012
    - they want £1,123
    - since they bought minicredit they defaulting £1,123 on my credit file every month since mid 2015
    - I have paid off £102 back in 2012

few months ago I have received an email from them about the charges
    see attached: s5.postimg.org/i12581hg7/kapama.jpg
    (sorry I can not properly embed the image as a new user.. you can view the link if you copy/paste it to the browser)

Loan amount: £150
    Interest charges: £181
    Debt collection charges: £100
    Default charge 1: £25
    Default charge 2: £50
    Attempt charges: £720 !!!
    Paid: £102.50
    Adjusted: £ 0
    -
    Outstanding balance: £1123.50

This is mental..
    Any suggestions? Or anyone had any luck with them?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    daem wrote: »
    Any suggestions?
    Pay what you owe?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • daem
    Options
    Gaz83 wrote: »
    Pay what you owe?

Thank you for this comment. Really..

Btw I would be happy to pay what I owe but £720 attempt charges..? thats a bit harsh.. (and I doubt it is legal these days)
  • Gaz83
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for this comment. Really..

Btw I would be happy to pay what I owe but £720 attempt charges..? thats a bit harsh.. (and I doubt it is legal these days)
    What did it say about attempt charges on the terms and conditions you agreed to when you took out the loan?
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • daem
    Options
    What did it say about attempt charges on the terms and conditions you agreed to when you took out the loan?

"If you break this Agreement, we will charge you if we unsuccessfully attempt to obtain repayment on
    the due date for repayment. A fee of £25 will be charged on the day that your missed payment was
    due. If we unsuccessfully attempt to obtain repayment on the due date, we will attempt to obtain
    repayment a second time 2 days later, and if we unsuccessfully attempt to obtain repayment on this
    second occasion we will charge you a further amount of £55. If we unsuccessfully attempt to obtain
    repayment we may charge up to £5.

Interest on any sum in arrears will be charged at the contractual rate, both before and after judgment,
    until payment. Also, you must pay us all other reasonable costs and expenses we incur (including
    any legal costs on a full indemnity basis) in tracing you, or enforcing, or attempting to enforce, our
    rights under this Agreement."

At that time I was in a really bad financial situation.. I was trying to fix tho.. from the £150 loan I paid off £102 and tried to explain them the situation but this micro loan went from this amount to 1100ish in one month.. I simply was not in the situation to deal with this at that time
  • Gaz83
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I simply was not in the situation to deal with this at that time
    But you agreed to those terms and conditions when you agreed to take out the loan.

You say you doubt the charges are legal these days. What law do you think they're breaking?

You could ask them to waive the charges. They might, they might not. Can't hurt to ask.
  • daem
    Options
    But you agreed to those terms and conditions when you agreed to take out the loan.

I could read those terms and conditions back and forth 100 times but still would not expect £700+ charges in less then 30 days. It's like attempting to charge my card 5 times every day charging £5 every time.. so ~£25/day attempt charges ? It is nowhere mentioned in TC nor is it "reasonable charge" but maybe I am just wrong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure