Why become a mortgage broker

Options

Comments

• HelpWhereIcan
    HelpWhereIcan Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Reason why i became a mortgage adviser:

Spent a number of years as a 'proper' Financial Adviser. Was actually better and more interested in the mortgage and protection side of things (actually only started in mortgages as they were a good way into the protection market). A partner for the firm I worked for at the time took me to one side and said

"Do you realise that we have to pay all these fees for you to have full authorisation but you only do a handful of investment cases a year and a few small pensions. As for the last time you did anything to do with IHT..... Whay about saving us a bit and going Mortgage & Protection only and I will bump up your fee share and pass you some mortgage cases myself."

Once I got over my own ego (a mortgage adviser is a poor relation), I realised that he was giving me some good advice and have not looked back since.

The reason other people become mortgage advisers:

1. ex (soon to be ex) IFA s for the same reasons as me above and cost of regulation

2. We have experienced a property boom. every man and his dog thinks there is easy money in property and those that have invested think their mortgage broker has an easy life for easy money. Pretty much the same reason loads of people wanted to become day traders during the tech boom. What they don't realise is that a downturn in market conditions will mean a lot more work for mortgage advisers, but only those who have fostered a loyal client base and actually have experience of thinking outside the box. Just as many new estate agents will go under if there is a bust, there will be a number of fairweather mortgage advisers who will disappear when then realise that the factory line approach to advice is good in properous times, but may not have built the client relationship needed to retain them when things are hard.

As for proc fees in New Zealand, IIRC there has alsways been a tradition of lenders paying to 1 to 1.5% for prime (as in Australia) so even a 50% cut would still put them above us.

The admin side

I have nearly always had admin support, have sent every customer a care questionnaire after completion seeking feedback and have noticed that the administrator's rating is nearly always the same as the adviser's - one of them screws up and the other goes down as well.

I am interviewing an administrator tommorow and an Adviser on Monday so any thoughts on sure fire winner questions that will help avoid employing a muppet would be good.
    I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • JoeK_3
    JoeK_3 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    Options
    They'd be very busy with these volumes of course.

I wouldn't expect any adviser to be signing 10 mortgages and 20 insurance sales a week though.

Personally, I don't believe it's good practice for an adviser to sit more than 1 first appointment per day - 5 a week. I've always preferred face to face and so encourage that here - though we are doing more and more telephone based enquiries now.

From 4/5 appointments I'd expect 3 sales and the adviser would be responsible for ensuring all compliant documentation is in place prior to handing in the deal.

The administrator will file and submit to lender / provider. Chase confirmation of receipt etc and liaise as necessary. Once offer / terms are accepted there's little more to do other than the odd call to client etc.

We use MortgageStream and have all letters templated etc so no loss of time in that respect. We don't have 5 advisers either - only 2 - and 1 part time administrator. I do some admin myself.

If all I did was administrate the mortgage and insurance applications, I'd feel comfortable with 5 advisers. The last company I worked for had 2 administrators and 25 advisers.

It again goes back to systems and strategy.

Andy.

Nice feedback Andy.

Your ratios are both realistic and workable.

Are you using MortgageStream to it's full capabilities by submitting electronically where possible?

JoeK
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser.
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • HelpWhereIcan
    HelpWhereIcan Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    I also use mortgagestream and while I think it brilliant (they actually use me as a testimonial) it still has to be used correctly to make the best use of it. ie ensuring all autoreminders etc are used and that it is fully integrated into your process.

I am still amazed that some of my ex collegues and competitors do not realise the importance of a proper system in place. They are very likely to lose in any battle for customer service and retention with me as the system ensures I don't forget anyone or any of their details.
    I am an IFA (and boss o' t'swings idst)
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as an IFA, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Options
    kenshaz, i have pm'd you re your comments. I didnt want to take this thread off topic.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • AndyWallace
    Options
    JoeK wrote: »
    Nice feedback Andy.

Your ratios are both realistic and workable.

Are you using MortgageStream to it's full capabilities by submitting electronically where possible?

JoeK

No. We import and export to and from sourcing only.
  • JoeK_3
    Options
    No. We import and export to and from sourcing only.

Sorry Andy, my question was misplaced.

I know that the import and exportation of data is a feature of MortgageStream but after you have imported the information to say, Trigold, Mortgage 2000, Mortgagebrain, from MortgageStream do you then submit electronically if possible in all cases?

JoeK
    Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may be different for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • AndyWallace
    Options
    JoeK wrote: »
    Sorry Andy, my question was misplaced.

I know that the import and exportation of data is a feature of MortgageStream but after you have imported the information to say, Trigold, Mortgage 2000, Mortgagebrain, from MortgageStream do you then submit electronically if possible in all cases?

JoeK

No. We prefer to use our own fact find so we basically just export the lead to sourcing, and import a recommendation / kfi back. Convert this to a case when instructed. The actual application is done either by hand or lender direct.

It's not particularly because we're behind the times or anything - I find that when you complete a Trigold FF for example and then source - you are presented limited results which can often be bettered. Trigold's good for its filters but tries to be too intelligent at times.

Good old fashioned manual sourcing from 'unfiltered' results ensures you're not missing the best deals.

Andy.
  • JoeK_3
    Options
    No. We prefer to use our own fact find so we basically just export the lead to sourcing, and import a recommendation / kfi back. Convert this to a case when instructed. The actual application is done either by hand or lender direct.

It's not particularly because we're behind the times or anything - I find that when you complete a Trigold FF for example and then source - you are presented limited results which can often be bettered. Trigold's good for its filters but tries to be too intelligent at times.

Good old fashioned manual sourcing from 'unfiltered' results ensures you're not missing the best deals.

Andy.

Andy, you have just hit the nail on the head.

Mortgage 2000 is far more accurate than Trigold and for this reason we are moving our whole operation to Mortgage 2000.

We have been conducting trials and test now for six months and are convinved that this is the way forward.

A recent adverse case was researched on Trigold and 140 potential lenders came up but only 20 would accept the client.

The same information was put into Mortgage 2000 and only 20 appeared. On checking all the twenty lenders would accept the client.

So, from 30 April 2007, it's goodbye Trigold and hello Mortgage 2000.

This is becoming interesting.

JoeK
  • homer_j_3
    homer_j_3 Posts: 3,266 Forumite
    Options
    Could I tag onto this thread where you feel the future of mortgage advising lies.

Will it be more office based, home visits or will more people take to it over the internet/phone on a distance type arrangement. Maybe the mix will still continue.

I work in an Estate Agents with a pretty decent size panel of about 40 lenders but I can't help feeling that EA's will become more redundant in future with more and more people looking for houses on the internet.

What do you think the industry will look like in say the next 3,5,10+ years.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    homer_j wrote: »
    kenshaz, i have pm'd you re your comments. I didnt want to take this thread off topic.
    Appreciated .I am glad that we have been able to open a communication link.I hope that I have not been undiplomatic,please do not take my PM to heart it was written from the heart and said with good cheer.
    Ken
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure