PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Same menu again for me Porridge, banana on toast and beef stew, I made a load but it was a bit sort on meat today so have bunged in some left over pork and mince, its very tasty. good job as think I will be eating it all week. Also got up at 3am and ate a can of smart price rice putting. Well they do say feed a cold don't they?. Ohhh and a choc ice,

And wouldn't you just know the week I don't feel up to it the garden has gone into overdrive, loads of rhubarb, potatoes and tomatoes to be picked. Have put the rhubarb on our local Share and swop fb page if anyone wants to come and pick it. Normally my daughter is the rhubarb fiend but shes away touring America for a month.
    Slimming World at target
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Fishcakes!!

THAT's what my life needs. I'd bought/eaten fishcakes about 4-5 months ago and loved them and had intended on buying more, but had completely forgotten/not got round to it.

Last lot I bought was an Iceland £1 1Kg bag of ~10-12 of them ....I'd meant to see if L1dl/4ldi did the same ... or what Sainsbobs did... but then I moved onto burgers and "got stuck". :)

I need to write a list to buy next time I go out: fishcakes, fish fingers, burgers .... all healthy stuff :)

Seems my fishcakes may have started another set of ideas going. Be warned, mine were Lidl ones, they are very thick, SG My intention was to make a sort of fishcake burger, but never found any buns, at least not at a price I was willing to pay, but the Lidl ones are so thick it would be a real gobful with toms etc in there as well, Ed Milli and his bacon sarnie would seem demure beside that :D

Woke up to the neighbours c0 ckerel crowing, he must be a new one or just feeling chirpy this morning, not heard him before. It was time to get up anyway

No breakfast, and no ideas for dinner. Into Lild on way to volunteering, spotted YS pack of 7 back bacon rashers. Solved meals problem for the day

Lunch was bacon, lettuce & tom sarnie, 2 rashers gone
    Dinner will be bacon, eggs, chips, beans probably, and mushrooms grilled in the bacon fat. 3 more rashers gone there

2 rashers left for tomorrow lunch
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Seems my fishcakes may have started another set of ideas going. Be warned, mine were Lidl ones, they are very thick,
    I've had those in the past, but consciously didn't buy them this week as they're "a bit pricey for me" at 50p each. While nicer, my food's predominantly chosen for price and desirability. As they were "nice but not outstanding" it'd take a "30% off" sticker starting at the special offer price to get me lured in on a whim.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    Same menu again for me Porridge, banana on toast and beef stew, I made a load but it was a bit sort on meat today so have bunged in some left over pork and mince, its very tasty. good job as think I will be eating it all week. Also got up at 3am and ate a can of smart price rice putting. Well they do say feed a cold don't they?. Ohhh and a choc ice,

And wouldn't you just know the week I don't feel up to it the garden has gone into overdrive,
    I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter what time it is, if you feel hungry then it's best just to eat. A lot of perople laugh at me, but every now and again I really enjoy tinned rice pudding, also you can get a tea spoon and eat it out of the tin :)

The stew sounds nice, I think a stew is always better the next day and is one of the meals that I can happily eat for a few days running without getting bored of it.

I hope that you are feeling a little bit better today. It is a shame that a lot of produce is ready now when you are not well.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Seems my fishcakes may have started another set of ideas going. Be warned, mine were Lidl ones, they are very thick, SG My intention was to make a sort of fishcake burger, but never found any buns, at least not at a price I was willing to pay, but the Lidl ones are so thick it would be a real gobful with toms etc in there as well, Ed Milli and his bacon sarnie would seem demure beside that :D

Thank you for the warning I shall be prepared for an undemure gobful. Luckily for me I have a fair sized gob :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    In all honesty, don't under-estimate how hard it is to eat your way through it .... if you start now you might discover it takes until Xmas to actually get through it....
    If my inventory of what is in the freezers is correct, there is enough food in them to last 10 months with the exception of fresh veg and potatoes. I really do need to get a grip on this. It will get better in the autumn/winter because a lot of it is stewing steak/minces lamb/beef/diced turkey, the sort of things that I use for stews/casseroles and things like cottage/shepherds pie/spag bog and chilli in the winter when I eat more of that type of food.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I really enjoy tinned rice pudding, also you can get a tea spoon and eat it out of the tin :)
    I love that; I've been buying the 4ldi 20p cans, but on the telly in the last 2-3 weeks a bunch of celeb chefs/food critics blind taste tested a lot of products to find what's best - and the 4ldi 39p cans came out best for tinned rice, so I do plan to try that soon.
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I4ldi 39p cans came out best for tinned rice, so I do plan to try that soon.
    That's interesting. I haven't got any in and need to go to Aldi one day this week so I'll get a tin to try as well.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 8 August 2017 at 6:16PM
    Options
    That's interesting. I haven't got any in and need to go to Aldi one day this week so I'll get a tin to try as well.

It's been on my list to get too ... for about 7-10 days since I found out... only it's on my mental list, not a written one, so I forget once I get in the shop with its bright lights and moving people ...

Maybe I should go now, while I remember.... and get some. That'd be a plan.

I've had chocolates and crisps for tea.... I could have rice pudding for a snack later :) with jam.

I've never understood why people buy pricey cold Muller Rice, when they could simply buy bigger/cheaper cans! I guess that's marketing for you ... put 1/5th of a tin in a pot, charge 4x the price, give it a snazzy name .... fools suckered in :)

Here's the DM's article on what the "public on the street" thought in taste tests:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-4725116/Tried-Tasted-judges-blind-test-English-Breakfast-tea.html
  • SquirrelSmall
    Options
    If my inventory of what is in the freezers is correct, there is enough food in them to last 10 months
    :eek::eek::eek:

I'm still running down my freezer in advance of next week's trip up the canal (won't have the right flavour of leccy to run it, so it needs to be emptied). Thankfully, I think I am more in the parish of "enough food to last 10 days", and I can easily rustle up hungry neighbours to help.

I think today will be the first day in the best part of a week when I'll have had three meals - or, perhaps put better, have eaten on three occasions throughout the day.

Just not been in the mood for food. Generally feeling a bit "meh" towards life in general, coupled with one of those 3 day headaches that the pills don't touch. Both cats have been indolent for the last few days too; no spontaneous baths, just lots of head rubs and snoozing on my bed.

Today - toast for breakfast; ham, hummus, alfalfa sprout sarnie for lunch and remnants of gammon casserole thing from the freezer for supper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure