Over paid by employer

Hello members

Need advice on my specific situation. Last year, i was with an employer under a year and was made redundant and business almost collapsed (large company once upon a time), but reached cva agreement for uk office and kid of saved.

While I left with redundancy, I was told i will not receive any money apart from one month notice. All cleared, but company paid more than i was expecting, i was not sure why aa i did not have any final payslip of p45. I was contacted later asking for return of monies. I asked payslip and p45 which I did not receive . Eventually they sent a copy of payslip that I was paid redundancy money which I was entitled. I said fine i will make payment, but revert payment on records i.e payslip and p 45 and send me copy. I was told it's not possible to revert pay on payroll as I left company . while on record i was paid , but I return money? Now they following up on money. Morally, yes I have to pay , but if I don't what are implications technically if I don't?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They can take you to court, if you dont pay within a month you will get a CCJ against you and your credit will be trashed for years.
    You will be unable to get any sort of credit fron a mobile phone contrat to a mortgage.

Its not your money, just pay it back
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As you had only been there a year you were not entitled to any redundcy money.
    This kicks in when you have worked for them at least 2 years
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 May 2018 at 6:00PM
    McKneff wrote: »
    As you had only been there a year you were not entitled to any redundcy money.
    This kicks in when you have worked for them at least 2 years

Contractual scheme could make termination payment to someone with less than statutory entitlement.

It's not clear to me what really happened as OP says,
    While I left with redundancy, I was told i will not receive any money apart from one month notice. All cleared, but company paid more than i was expecting, i was not sure why aa i did not have any final payslip of p45. I was contacted later asking for return of monies. I asked payslip and p45 which I did not receive . Eventually they sent a copy of payslip that I was paid redundancy money which I was entitled.
    Was "was" meant to be "was not"?
  • I was not entitled to redundancy as per agreement.

My primary question was why did not employer revert pay on my payroll which would have made me automatically owe them?

As per hmrc records i was paid money, even if I return monies over paid, i will be subject to higher tax due to above reason explained. To i be technically called defulter while I am paid as per official records?. Is there no provision to correct on hmrc records if I return money?

I have repeatedly asked to revert my payroll which I was not answered for that question.

Pls advice
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    I was not entitled to redundancy as per agreement.

My primary question was why did not employer revert pay on my payroll which would have made me automatically owe them?

As per hmrc records i was paid money, even if I return monies over paid, i will be subject to higher tax due to above reason explained. To i be technically called defulter while I am paid as per official records?. Is there no provision to correct on hmrc records if I return money?

I have repeatedly asked to revert my payroll which I was not answered for that question.

Pls advice

If they are claiming the overpaid money is redundancy there is no TAX or NI on that payment.

Did they get the holiday pay correct?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport