PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord access for viewings

Options

Comments

• mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    tempest84 wrote: »

In a nutshell, the message was they do not accept my notice of no entry and will force the lock if necessary and any damage would be passed on to me.

Bear in mind they are allowed to do that in an emergency & as you have changed the locks without giving notice, the LL would be within his/her rights to pass any bill on to you.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I get the impression they are not very experienced landlords, especially with reference to the law.

In a nutshell, the message was they do not accept my notice of no entry and will force the lock if necessary and any damage would be passed on to me.

Write to them giving suitable times when you WILL allow viewings asap with 24 hours notice to be given.

They cannot just enter without your permission as this is not an emergency.

Make it clear to them in the letter that you do NOT give them permission to enter at any other time than those stated, as this would be breaking and entering.

I would also fit some sort of alarm!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well if you have signed to say you won't change the lock and you will allow access with a specified notice period then I don't blame them if you A refuse and B haven't provided them with a key.

That may not be the favoured response here but you do seem to be being quite obstructive and at the end of the day you did agree to the terms and conditions they offered you in exchange for somewhere to live.

They have kept to their side of the deal. You appear to be choosing not to keep to yours.

They shouldn't be breaking in. They also shouldn't need to.

On the flip side what are you going to do about it if they Do?
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My landlord informed me last week that he is selling the property i rent from him.

He wants me to continue living here and paying him rent until he finds a buyer.

Has he given you proper legal notice?
  • tempest84
    tempest84 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I have agreed to the request, but have had to rearrange my shift so i can be here, which was my problem. I had a heated phone call with him, were i had to emphasise my rights while staying calm and respectful. my blood boiled a bit when i saw the message about forcing entry, so i phoned straight away to clear it up.
    He said he owned the place so can do this, and i made the point i pay rent to enjoy my privacy.
    This was going to go on and on, and after i started to sense he was getting agitated and out of breath ( he's late 50's early 60's i think) i tried to calm him down, and pretty much gave in. i said i'd contact my employer and move things around.

I asked whether or not i could get my deposit back in advance, nope! but i made clear that any forced entry would result in police action and advised him to research the law on this matter.

Tomorrow is going to be awkward :rotfl:
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have agreed to the request, but have had to rearrange my shift so i can be here, which was my problem. I had a heated phone call with him, were i had to emphasise my rights while staying calm and respectful. my blood boiled a bit when i saw the message about forcing entry, so i phoned straight away to clear it up.
    He said he owned the place so can do this, and i made the point i pay rent to enjoy my privacy.
    This was going to go on and on, and after i started to sense he was getting agitated and out of breath ( he's late 50's early 60's i think) i tried to calm him down, and pretty much gave in. i said i'd contact my employer and move things around.

I asked whether or not i could get my deposit back in advance, nope! but i made clear that any forced entry would result in police action and advised him to research the law on this matter.

Tomorrow is going to be awkward :rotfl:

Don’t forget to leave some crusty pants lying around and scatter some mouse traps on the floor... (joke)

Let this be a one off, but in future be firm when you will allow viewings and put it in writing.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't believe that you have answered the question about whether you are in a fixed term or on a periodic tenancy. What notice do you and your landlord have to give to each other to end the tenancy?

I do think this is important.

Whilst I agree that it is reasonable for you to allow viewings at your convenience if this is within a reasonable time frame, I do not think it is reasonable for this to go on for months and months.

Please tell us about the time frame.
  • tempest84
    tempest84 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    pmlindyloo wrote: »
    I don't believe that you have answered the question about whether you are in a fixed term or on a periodic tenancy. What notice do you and your landlord have to give to each other to end the tenancy?

I do think this is important.

Whilst I agree that it is reasonable for you to allow viewings at your convenience if this is within a reasonable time frame, I do not think it is reasonable for this to go on for months and months.

Please tell us about the time frame.

Periodic tenancy. 6 month contract ended 2 1/2 years ago

I will insist from tomorrow onward that weekend viewings are best due to shift work on weekdays. I gave in this time and moved my schedule around to suit him because he would not budge and was convinced he could bash down the door if he couldn't get in. But i cannot allow him to dictate the times, even though i don't want to make him ill when he cant get his own way. the last thing i want is him having an event on my conscience.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Periodic tenancy. 6 month contract ended 2 1/2 years ago

I will insist from tomorrow onward that weekend viewings are best due to shift work on weekdays. I gave in this time and moved my schedule around to suit him because he would not budge and was convinced he could bash down the door if he couldn't get in. But i cannot allow him to dictate the times, even though i don't want to make him ill when he cant get his own way. the last thing i want is him having an event on my conscience.

Weekend viewings due to your shift work is perfectly reasonable (IMHO).

Find somewhere new to live ASAP and leave him in the sh#t.

My pet hate is landlords who sell houses with tenants in situ.
  • rachpid
    rachpid Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are going through the same situation as you but our landlord offered us a drop in rent by £150 (approx 14%) to account for the hassle of viewings. We agreed but stipulated we would only tolerate two or three a week with appropriate 24 hrs notice and they would have to put up with the house getting full of boxes etc as we begin to pack. All of the viewings are being arranged by the estate agent rather than the landlord, so they have stuck to this. The same agents have helped us find somewhere new too so luckily we only have two and a bit weeks left of this.

Is there a reason you have to be there for the viewings? We have had two now while we were at work. I was anxious about people traipsing round my house without me there but it has to be done. After the first I got my mum to go and check they'd left the house in ok condition as we have cats and was worried they'd shut all the internal doors but all was fine. We hid easily removable items such as iPads but nothing else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure