PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Suggestions for family buffet lunch

Options

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know you are asking for Buffet recommendations , but have you thought about Hiring plates and cutlery for the day ?

Eating from real plates, using proper cutlery is so much easier then paper plates and plastic

I hired in for my wedding Buffet, didn't cost a lot and it saved all that hassle of plates getting soggy and folding and food being dropped
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    I know you are asking for Buffet recommendations , but have you thought about Hiring plates and cutlery for the day ?

Eating from real plates, using proper cutlery is so much easier then paper plates and plastic

I hired in for my wedding Buffet, didn't cost a lot and it saved all that hassle of plates getting soggy and folding and food being dropped

I bought a load of cheap ikea plates (plain white) for bbqs in the garden.
    They were about 50P each I think!
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oddly enough I did a dinner party for 11 last night.

The menu was ......a range of nibbles for starters, mushroom vol au vents, mini sausages, falafels, all served hot, with cold mini pork pies, breadsticks and crackers and those dip things, olives, chopped beetroot, baby tomatoes.

The main was a chilli cooked the day before, a lamb casserole which i had cooked the week before and frozen. Both dishes just needed reheating, chicken drumsticks, new baby potatoes (no peeling) a big "everything in it salad" and then dishes of potato salad, coleslaw (I cheated and bought those), garlic bread, rice and couscous.

Deserts were cold....tarte citron, ice cream and mint Chocolate curls.

It was simplicity itself. There was no waste and very few leftovers, some chilli which I froze and some potatoes which I can eat over the next couple of days.

The beauty of casserole type dishes is they can be cooked in advance and just reheated.

Chilli might not be an option but you could do shepherds pie or a nice beef casserole, or as someone else suggested either a pork or beef joint done in a slow cooker. And most people seem to like chicken.

To keep costs down be sure to shop at Aldi or Lidl.

I did use paper plates and they were fine. I bought a pack of 50 from Asda for £1.25 so had enough for people to change to clean plates and even double up if they felt the need. I only used paper because I have recently had a smashing time in the kitchen and was down to 4 plates and hadnt got round to an Ikea trip. I did use proper cutlery though. I must admit I agree that I think real Crockery and cutlery is actually better.

(If it helps I noticed Sainsbury's currently have table ware on sale at half price, not sure how long the sale is on for).

2 people didn't want tea or coffee so I served teas and coffees from a dainty China 8 piece tea set I had picked up at a charity shop for £5. It was very pretty and the subject of much admiration. :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will people be seated, or half standing/perching on the arm of a chair where they can get a room?

What works well will, in part, be dictated to whether everybody's seated adequately, or if several/many will be having to "make do" and wedge their plate on a windowsill or keep holding it while standing up.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will people be seated, or half standing/perching on the arm of a chair where they can get a room?

What works well will, in part, be dictated to whether everybody's seated adequately, or if several/many will be having to "make do" and wedge their plate on a windowsill or keep holding it while standing up.

That's right and the plate situation is similar. A paper plate is OK if you're sitting at a table but limited if you're standing up. OP says the guests are 'older generation' so it's something to consider.

When I host a big family party, I don't have room for everyone to sit around one table but I do have enough chairs and most people have a table to lean on even if they're in different rooms. Garden furniture can be brought indoors if necessary and that's easily borrowed from neighbours too. :)
  • Working_Mum
    Options
    I host tea-parties for a national charity and agree with not over-feeding the older members!!

I always do sandwiches - egg mayo, cheese, tuna mayo, ham with butter and in white bread!! I serve with sausage rolls and mini pork pies cut in half. I always serve with silver skin pickled onions, Branston pickle and piccalilli - this seems to give them enough choice.

For something sweet I serve lemon drizzle cake, scones with cream and jam along with a Victoria sponge.

We always serve tea and coffee but they rarely ask for water!

Each attendee goes home with a little pack of sandwiches, savoury and puds so they have something for the next day. I tend to do a wrap in foil, scrunched across the top and they find this works well.

This format has been refined over the last 3 years and seems to work for our little gang!

Good luck with your buffet - it sounds a wonderful thing to do!
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Wow! Thank you all so much. Lots of food for thought - excuse the pun.
    I've just counted up and I have enough proper plates and cutlery for the savoury course - and I have a dishwasher so no excuse not to use them. I have some pretty paper plates that will work well for cake. I have a rarely used cake stand so that can come out for the day too.
    There are enough seats for everyone but not all round the table if you see what I mean. A couple of sofas and room for 8 at the table.
    I shall certainly try the quiche/flan/tart.
    I'm going to save the suggestions for pulled pork rolls and the hot dishes for the ore-Christmas gathering. I'm the next generation down to the family guests and they are mostly in their 80's and 90's so it is lovely to entertain them (exhausting but lovely)
  • Blackcats
    Blackcats Posts: 2,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Lessonslearned - what are mint choc curls and did you make them yourself?
    Workingmum - yes tea and coffee are in great demand at these family gatherings. I like the idea of a take home pack too.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would go for good value ingredients that make more than more thing, e.g. you could buy:

Sausage meat
    Puff pastry
    Cream cheese
    Smoked salmon trimmings
    Cucumber
    A whole chicken (to roast and split)
    A few mushrooms or sweetcorn
    Cheddar

And do:

COLD
    Cream cheese and cucumber finger sandwiches
    Smoked salmon blitzed with cream cheese to make a pate, in finger sandwiches
    Chicken mayo finger sandwiches (use some of the chicken you roast)

WARM/to be cooked in advance and served cool
    HM sausage rolls
    Small chicken and mushroom pasties/pies or a chicken and mushroom quiche (or sweetcorn)
    Smoked salmon quiche
    Cheese pinwheels

Then serve alongside crisps, cherry tomatoes halved (to prevent out of mouth squirting!), coleslaw and salad.

For pud I'd make something classic - like a victoria sponge or lemon drizzle - and also serve a fruit salad.
  • pickledonionspaceraider
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you OP - I have found myself several times now, in a position of hosting 15 family members but not enough room for a sit down meal

First time I did a traditional buffet, - It ended up costing a pretty penny and there was loads left over - we ate buffet for work lunch for the next few days but was sick of it

Next time they came, i wracked my head on how to keep costs down, so what I ended up doing was cooking 48 sausage and 40 bacon - and putting them in serving dishes, next to bread rolls, butter and sauces - this literally went down a storm, not a scrap left and everyone said they much preferred it. If the weather had been I would have pulled out the BBQ

That might be an idea actually, a BBQ? You really dont need to go to town , sausages and burgers are the staples - you don't need to spend a fortune and go all posh with chicken skewers or whatever lol
    With love, POSR <3
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport