Ebay

Options
Hi, Not sure if I've posted in the correct place! Ebay, I've noticed a lot lately that China sellers are getting quite a big presence on Ebay which is fine,but is it false advertising if they say they are in the UK and put locations such a London, bristol or where ever for item location, display a UK flag on their listing? I like to buy from the UK and always have my preference location as 'UK only' only to then buy something which does state it's in the UK (London) the item / listing has a UK flag image with it to then receive it with customs stickers on from China!! I just wondered if this is classified as false advertising, misleading the consumer?
Now I make sure I go to the bottom of the ebay listing and check the address / profile, I'm amazed at how many listings there are like this. Is it actually allowed?
Thanks everyone:beer:

Comments

• pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Technically it's not allowed but they do it anyway.

The delivery time is normally the giveaway.

I got a freebie by opting to return something really poor quality and not fit for purpose and then was just given a full refund. I had ordered from a UK seller but it was sent from China.

They often arrive a day after the time period too if they have tried to be competitive with their delivery times.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • auldblerk
    auldblerk Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Options
    Buying chinese puerh tea is a total nightmare ! you order some from a company that states it's location is London and is in China so what usually takes 4 days takes over two weeks; I have reported a couple to E-Bay for false advertising but nothing happens.
    Similarly with Amazon who seem to try to 'hide' a sellers location and the same problem exists
  • dantendo
    dantendo Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I find buying from a China based seller who claims his item is based in London not all that different from buying from a UK seller.

In fact not only is the item usually cheaper but from experience the delivery times are pretty much the same. Only real problem is if the item is faulty and needs to be returned and also if the seller is lying about where the item is, in which case it doesn't take long for them to get quite a few negatives.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ive had stuff arrive from China faster than UK sellers.

Big presence? Loads of them got removed early this year, I had a ton of refunds from sellers that got removed before they had sent my items. Bad timing.

Lots of Chinese sellers also have UK stock and it arrives within a couple of days.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure