Comments

• VelvetFreak
    Options
    Happy New Year!
    Perhaps we can be diet buddies :p ?
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    Happy New year x
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy new year x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • charlies_tribe
    Options
    Just catching up on diaries before i go back to work tomorrow.
    Glad you had a lovely christmas.
    Hope your back is feeling better soon.
    How is the amaryllis growing? we bought MIL a 'grow your own' in a lovely vase for christmas, it said 'water to start the magic'.It had been sat on our shelf in the wardrobe and had a lovely shoot by christmas day when DH took it over.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on giving yourself a break. You've been working so hard on your mums house. A bit of time to look after cherry for a while.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello everyone. :)

NSD yesterday - and a bit more income due to working Bank Holiday.

Today I have a thousand and one resolutions which are really aspirations. That's a bit overwhelming so I set out to find my bullet journal, which is elusive. Meanwhile I have two piles of books at my elbow which came from the shelf where I thought the BJ was. Next place to search is on top of a box of files but that's where the receipts of doom (i.e. not on my spreadsheet) are lurking and I'm rather worried about touching that because they are even more overwhelming. So a good old displacement activity or several were called for and I cleaned the bathroom, made more ginger syrup, put laundry in to wash and took some recycling out.

Now I'm sitting here trying to collect my thoughts. :)

The other thing I managed this morning was a look at the mortgage: I've paid off a lot in the last 12 months or so. There are three parts to it, all at the same rate and the aim is now to snowball these. All else being equal (ha, ha) I should be able to reduce it to the original mortgage only, by January. Of course I'm impatient and want it done sooner! I do have a piece of paper with my workings out but I don't grasp maths very easily so the figures won't be spot on. I've left out the bit where parts 2 and 3 get a bit smaller while I'm paying off part 1, because I don't know how much smaller they will be. However, the aim is to be finished with the smallest payment and starting on the second during June. If I can make it earlier, that's a bonus.

I also want to start AVCs - which I know I've put off forever, which can only be stupid when I have the option... also there is the Big Holiday now booked for the autumn (we have the cash for all basic costs but need spending money) and I want to start a Christmas fund. To that end I've looked at starting a new bank account but got bogged down in whether switching banks would be worth the hassle. For the sake of cash to switch, it probably would but I don't want to close my existing account as it's useful for the mortgage, which is with the same bank. In theory I could do a DD but how about all the easy five minute overpayments that have made such a difference so far?

I need to get out of panic mode so I've decided to treat myself to the book about living on £1 a day. It costs £2-something but having an easy read is a good way to unwind.

I've saved a small amount so far today by cutting bramble leaves for the guinea pig from the garden instead of feeding him from the fridge! He says they make a nice change but hey human, I saw you getting cucumber out for yourself.

DH has repapered the place in the kitchen where there used to be a cupboard so if I can get that painted I will feel better. I have the paint already.

I'm also inspired to eat from stock today - not sure if I can as I wanted to make a pie and I don't think there's chicken left in the freezer. The rainy weather may help here though. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how much housework and tedious tasks can be achieved when putting something off. :rotfl:

I hope you find your journal soon.

Pie yum. I love it but my pastry is always :o:eek:.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Happy New Year!
    Perhaps we can be diet buddies :p ?

Judging by tonight's food, I need all the help I can get! :rotfl:

Quite happy to do some mutual cheering on / consoling / kick in the right direction. :)

• NoOneAround
    NoOneAround Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Flying visit to wish you a Very Happy New Year Cherry :)
    Hope its a good one for you
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes:)
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 3 January 2018 at 12:35AM
    Options
    Isn't it amazing how much housework and tedious tasks can be achieved when putting something off. :rotfl:

Absolutely.

DS decided to go into town so I asked for a lift, only to find his battery was dead. I was determined not to stay in the house any longer, though, so I walked. This did involve spending some money. I wandered into a charity shop and spotted some jeans... never go shopping when you are wearing clothes you don't like. The ones I have on today are a poor fit and I suppose I wanted to feel I have more choice for very cold weather - so a whole £3.99 spent.

I couldn't go to the cheap place at the far end of town because I couldn't carry stuff from there but I did go to a few High Street places and nearly, but not quite, resisted the lure of the supermarket on the way back.

Dinner: I found chicken in the depths of the freezer - it had freezer burn :eek: but after defrosting and baking in oil and rosemary I sliced it up with some gammon and various veg and my secret ingredient, shop-bought pastry ;):o and it made a reasonable pie. Afterwards I decided to use up the rest of the pastry in something savoury, and invented a cheesy lentil thing that worked out rather well apart from there was far too much of it. Then I had one of the pasties after dinner :o:o:o, froze the rest before I could eat them, too, and have a dish of baked lentil thing to eat tomorrow lunchtime. It will not be low calorie.

Rather despondent as I've found out that the new boiler has stopped working - the chap says it won't be a problem and he'll fix it next week. I was hoping for sooner. I've also found the rubbish has just been put in bins not taken away - which I'd paid for them to do.

On a positive note, I signed up for a workplace fitness challenge and got a colleague to join me. She's found someone else from work has already joined so this could motivate me over the next couple of months.

Still no sign of the BJ but I found some notebooks I could use and managed not to get a new one (though I did look).

It says something about my book habit that I'd been thinking of getting a particular cookery book and while looking for the journal today, found I already have it. :o

Spends:
    Book £2.08
    Clothes £3.99
    Toiletries £1.00
    Housekeeping £7.78
    Pets £1.50
    MS stuff:
    Today's food all from cupboards and freezers (housekeepign spend was for DS and some fruit & cereal which we haven't had yet).
    Found lots of potential good reads already on my shelves
    DH has fixed a couple more areas of dodgy plasterwork
    Workplace fitness challenge is free and I'm competitive so may well benefit there without the expense of the gym. :)
    Jeans for £3.99
    Very cheap coconut conditioner from £ shop, and so far it seems okay.
    Haven't joined in the conversation about pre-meal drinks with colleagues tomorrow. Just the meal for me.
    Confession time:
    Eating a pasty that was meant to be lunch from the freezer
    Jeans...
    Book... (but I'm quite enjoying it)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport